Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

Removing Half-Shaft Assembly???

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 08:08 AM
Default Removing Half-Shaft Assembly???

I am reading the steps on the Hyundai Service Website and it says once everything is unbolted for you to use a pry bar to free the half shaft from the transaxle, yet another pic shows a circlip that i assume is holding the half-shaft to the transaxle...does anyone know how to remove the clip or if the clip just comes out with the half-shaft when you pry it free? (2002 Sonata 2.4L)

Old 03-03-2009, 09:11 AM
Banned

The circlip just pops out with the half shaft, there's no special step there. Most of the time you don't even need the pry bar, they almost fall out, but if they don't, then you use the pry bar. Don't pull on the axle by the outer cv joint on the end, or you'll separate the bearing, which is bad if you intend to reuse it, pull on the shaft itself. Don't lose the circlip, you need it to hold in the axle when you go around turns, else you spill out trans oil (I learned that one the hard way.)

Old 03-03-2009, 09:22 AM

I show there are only 7 steps to removing the shaft...is it REALLY that easy?

1. Remove the wheel and tire.
2. Drain the gear oil or transaxle fluid.
3. Remove the cotter pin and driveshaft nut from the front hub.
4. Remove the 2 bolts and disconnect the ball joint from the knuckle.
5. Using a plastic hammer, separate the driveshaft from the axle hub.
6. Push the axle hub toward the outside of the vehicle, and separate the driveshaft from the axle hub.
7. Insert a pry bar between the transaxle case and the driveshaft, and pry the driveshaft from the transaxle (Except 2.7L ENG.)

Old 03-03-2009, 09:34 AM
Banned

Yes, it's really not that hard. It's a little hard trying to pull the hub assembly out enough to create enough clearance to push the axle through the hub, and you probably won't need to "plastic hammer" the shaft, they usually slide out pretty easy. But you'll see, it's not that hard.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:38 AM

You guys have any luck using the remanufacturered shafts or would it be safer to stick to new ones?

Old 03-03-2009, 09:43 AM
Banned

It's up to you but usually shafts go bad because the boots get torn and then dirt get in and ruin the bearings. I use the cheapest thing I can get, which is a reman on eBay, and I've never had to do it again, I get a new car before that happens.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:54 PM

Ok so i removed the cv shaft and out came some oil...not sure about how much i'd say maybe a cup or two worth. The instructions state to drain the gear oil or transaxle fluid. Does anyone know what I replace it with? Do I just use the transmission oil that is required or is it gear oil that i need to put in there? And I haven't looked but is there a bolt in the pan i use to refill or do i refill it through the dipstick?

Old 03-07-2009, 11:20 PM
Banned

If you have an automatic transaxle, then you refill through the dipstick. Make sure you use the Hyundai spec fluid, not universal stuff. If you have a manual shift, then it's gear oil in the fill plug in the front of the trans. Which do you have? Be careful if you have a manual, as it's easy to undo the wrong bolt and mess up the trans.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:22 PM

I have an automatic...i checked the amsoil website and they didnt show which type of fluid to use, and online i've only seen that they recommend you check with the user manual to see which type you need...so ok the dipstick, cool...easy enough...now just need to figure out what kind of fluid...

Old 05-22-2010, 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by los7883
You guys have any luck using the remanufacturered shafts or would it be safer to stick to new ones?
Its better to buy the new ones although some aftermarket parts can be really worth buying.

Last edited by NovaResource; 08-03-2010 at 07:06 AM.

Quick Reply: Removing Half-Shaft Assembly???