Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

AM radio problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 04:48 PM
Default AM radio problem

Has anyone else had this problem? 2006 GLS Sonata V6 at 118,000m.

The AM radio drops in power frequently. Sometimes this is accompanied by static for no apparent reason. It manifests as a reduction in volume, but the static and other little things point to a reception issue. The main AM station I listen to is right in the middle of town, I can be 1/4 mile away, 5 miles, 30 miles, and that doesn't really affect this one way or the other, it is clearly something in the car. This started ages ago, probably in the 60 or 70K mile range. The dealer replaced the rear window, thinking it was the antenna, no effect. The radio itself wasn't covered under warranty at that time, so I didn't have that replaced. They couldn't figure anything else out.

This may sound similar to a common electrical problem of the lights dimming and radio dropping volume, and I do now have that issue which I am also working to fix, but I do not believe they are related. (at least not in the typical way) This is not related to braking, for instance. Sometimes I can bring the radio back to normal by playing with the rear defrost button. (yes, the shop guy looked at me funny when I told him this) And the AM problem started a long time ago, while the dimming problem just popped up after 115K.

This isn't that bad, it doesn't appear to affect FM (the wife doesn't even listen to AM), so I've let it go this long, but I am getting a little tired of it. Considering replacing head unit with an aftermarket system.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Old 12-27-2010, 06:23 PM

Look into the antenna module at right rear C pillar.. Quick test be to remove radio, unplug antenna, and use a piece of wire for a make-shift antenna to see if that cures your woes.. then go from there..

There has been module problems in the past, and somebody has had it come down to replaceing the rear window glass. From what I vaguely recall, it always been a hiss on FM when defrost grid powered up..

I would start engine running, test voltage at battery posts.. then leave negative lead on the negative battery post, and probe voltage at rear of alternator with red lead.. see if you find 14.5 on the alternator and approx 14.2 - 14.5 at battery

Last edited by sbr711; 12-27-2010 at 06:26 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:41 AM

Thanks. The problem is intermittent, so I don't know if I can easily recreate it with the radio and makeshift antenna dangling. That was always the problem with the dealership, "can't recreate the problem".

My battery is brand new as of a week ago, alternator checks out fine. I had pulled out the multimeter within the last week, IIRC both showed 14.3-14.5. I still need to do more checks, I think that positive battery cable may be a problem.

But spark plugs are overdue, that's my "fun" for this Friday.

Last edited by Spiky; 12-28-2010 at 09:43 AM.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Spiky
Has anyone else had this problem? 2006 GLS Sonata V6 at 118,000m.

The AM radio drops in power frequently. Sometimes this is accompanied by static for no apparent reason. It manifests as a reduction in volume, but the static and other little things point to a reception issue. The main AM station I listen to is right in the middle of town, I can be 1/4 mile away, 5 miles, 30 miles, and that doesn't really affect this one way or the other, it is clearly something in the car. This started ages ago, probably in the 60 or 70K mile range. The dealer replaced the rear window, thinking it was the antenna, no effect. The radio itself wasn't covered under warranty at that time, so I didn't have that replaced. They couldn't figure anything else out.

This may sound similar to a common electrical problem of the lights dimming and radio dropping volume, and I do now have that issue which I am also working to fix, but I do not believe they are related. (at least not in the typical way) This is not related to braking, for instance. Sometimes I can bring the radio back to normal by playing with the rear defrost button. (yes, the shop guy looked at me funny when I told him this) And the AM problem started a long time ago, while the dimming problem just popped up after 115K.

This isn't that bad, it doesn't appear to affect FM (the wife doesn't even listen to AM), so I've let it go this long, but I am getting a little tired of it. Considering replacing head unit with an aftermarket system.

Any thoughts? Thanks.
'

Having the exact same problem with AM radio reception. FM stations are not effected. Have a 2006 V6 sonata with 74k miles. Other problems have also surfaced but not sure if they are related: while driving the heater fan almost cuts off. What I mean by this is it will be blowing smooth but for about a split second it almost shuts off. Headlights dim at the very same instant. Also had a fog light to go out. I don't know exactly when as it's my wife's car and she doesn't even use the fog lights. Suggestions? Theories? Thanks in advance

Last edited by blueduke59; 01-02-2011 at 07:35 AM.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by blueduke59
'

Having the exact same problem with AM radio reception. FM stations are not effected. Have a 2006 V6 sonata with 74k miles. Other problems have also surfaced but not sure if they are related: while driving the heater fan almost cuts off. What I mean by this is it will be blowing smooth but for about a split second it almost shuts off. Headlights dim at the very same instant. Also had a fog light to go out. I don't know exactly when as it's my wife's car and she doesn't even use the fog lights. Suggestions? Theories? Thanks in advance
Fog light is likely a BUM bulb --

Read here --> https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/s...?t=4177&page=3

Last edited by sbr711; 01-02-2011 at 10:45 AM.