Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

2006 Sonata drivers airbag light stays on

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 04:30 PM
Default 2006 Sonata drivers airbag light stays on

I have an 2006 Sonata. The red "airbag" light in the dash in front of the steering wheel (not the passenger light in the middle) will not turn off. It stays on consistently. Started about a month ago. Dealership wants $100 to diagnose. Wondering if this is a common problem as I have seen the issue in other forums. Any suggestions how I can fix? Thanks.

Old 04-21-2011, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator

Gotta go to the dealership to get the computer read. How many miles are on the car? It might still be under warranty.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:14 PM
Default 2007 Sonata with same problem

My Sonata had the same problem. Moving both seats all the way forward then back resolved the problem for a time. Eventually the problem came back. The dealer replaced a sensor in the seats and the problem went away again. It has returned and I have an appointment next week with the dealer. My vehicle is under warranty.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by abanks
I have a 2006 Sonata.
Ok

The red "airbag" light in the dash in front of the steering wheel (not the passenger light in the middle) will not turn off.
Ok, it will not pass self test, and SRSCM has detected a fault in one or more of the many input/outputcircuits for the SRS system

It stays on consistently.
Yes, active fault, will find code(s) stored in SRSCM memory

Started about a month ago.
Just deciding to do something with it ??

Dealership wants $100 to diagnose.
Yep, gots to have the proper equipment to communicate with SRSCM, tech has to be trained in the safe procedures for system repair, remember, we playing with exploders here,, so shop needs to pay tech for his time to inpsect, his training, and make money to keep afloat.. you dont drive to work and work for free now,, do you ??

Wondering if this is a common problem as I have seen the issue in other forums.
SRS faults, common problem, only when module detects fault inthe system some where

Any suggestions how I can fix?
Pay the man, you do not have the software and ability to recover the codes. Until you know what circuit(s) the fault lays in, you just be guessing on some real expensive parts that can hurt you if you not know how to handle them... Buckles run sonthing like $190 ea,, seat belt retractors is $300 I think, passenger seat bottom is $1400, drive bag maybe $700, passenger bag $$$, bags in the front seats $$$...

$100 diag not looking so bad now...

Thanks.

Here's your $1400 seat bottom --

Have to post pics later, left the camera card at work again....

Old 04-22-2011, 06:20 PM
Default Almost left card at work again, I got here now--

New in bag seat cushion for passenger seat-

Underside, just the white module on that piece of foam with fabric cover on other side -

Top side where you sit,, minus the covering to make it pretty -

Seat frame for cushion to sit on, wiring at bottom of seat -

Attached Thumbnails 2006 Sonata drivers airbag light stays on-pict0622.jpg   2006 Sonata drivers airbag light stays on-pict0624.jpg   2006 Sonata drivers airbag light stays on-pict0625.jpg   2006 Sonata drivers airbag light stays on-pict0629.jpg  
Old 03-10-2022, 12:21 PM
Default Airbag Light Real Problem

If the drivers side air bag comes on in your Sonata is is most likely the connections under the seat causing a resistance code for the seat belt pretensioner. I have had mine replaced 5 times and the code cleared 3 times at a cost of over $1500. The first time just a few months after the cars purchase. The most recent times they tried to get me to replace it again, but luckily an honest service rep told me about the real problem. The worst part is that any time the airbag light is on the airbag will not deploy. I have a 2006 and I would say the light has been on for 3/4 of its lifetime. Hyundai put out a service bulletin in February of 2015 Number 15-BE-002 that a service rep at Hyundai actually gave me. Which details the real issue and the fact it is fixed with 2 Zip Ties. Yes 2 Zip Ties! Then called 5 hours later to tell me its the seat belt pretensioner again at a cost of $450. Either not haven been told I was informed of the real problem or just so inept they just forgot. Most of the work being done at Atlantic Hyundai and some at Hyundai 112 both on Long Island. I am surprised there isn't a class action lawsuit, due to the safety issue. If anyone needs more information please email me Sjeffrey9983@aol.com.