Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

2009 Limited Ipod issues (not the normal ones)

Old 12-10-2008, 04:37 PM
Default 2009 Limited Ipod issues (not the normal ones)

Hello all!

I am making this thread because of all the issues that people have; I have not yet seen any issues with the Limited's Ipod connection. I bought my Sonata in July of this year and since then, I have had the factory head unit (Navi and all) replaced not once but twice (2 times). I am using a 5th gen 30Gig Ipod Video which the dealer assures me IS compatible. The issue with the Ipod not turning off with the engine is nothing new; it's known and it is not a big deal. MY issue is a pop up on screen that states there is a connection error. This can be rectified by unplugging the ipod then plugging it back in. This remedy only works for 3-4 times before the Ipod gets stuck in an endless "reading" loop. I have a background in electronics and I tend to think that Hyundai simply is not connecting to the Ipod correctly. This could either be an oversight in the way USB connections work or a total design flaw with the head unit's themselves. If anyone else has had this very same issue; I would greatly appreciate some feedback on what was done to correct this for you OR if you are in the same boat as me. Calling the Dealer again in the morning to set up yet another head unit replacement.

Old 12-10-2008, 05:31 PM
Default RE: 2009 Limited Ipod issues (not the normal ones)

MY issue is a pop up on screen that states there is a connection error.
Which cable are you using to connect the iPod to the head unit? The USB cable that came with the iPod perhaps?

Old 12-10-2008, 07:55 PM

Sorry, I forgot to mention the cable. The cable is the one from Hyundai and it has been tested already and deemed not a problem.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:21 PM

Sorry, I forgot to mention the cable. The cable is the one from Hyundai and it has been tested already and deemed not a problem.
My daughter tried every imaginable cable with her iPod in her 2009 Sonata, which manifested similar problems. The dealer was little help, actually sending her to Best Buy for a ubiquitous USB cable. I discovered the TSB describing the Hyundai cable and got one ordered. Solved all her connectivity problems. Her iPod is a Nano though, and she does not have the Nav system in her GLS.

Sorry I cannot give better advice.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:36 PM

This could either be an oversight in the way USB connections work or a total design flaw with the head unit's themselves.
I do have another thought and then I'll quit. Have you tried a USB flash drive plugged into the system? One of the first things I tried when my daughter had troubles was to use Windows Media Player to rip a CD into WMA files, and then copied the album directory from WMP library from the PC onto an empty flash drive. When plugged in the car's USB jack, the head unit reacted just like a MP3 CD had been loaded into it and started playing the album. I copied several album directories over and the head again took contol of the flash drive, letting me toggle between albums with the head unit controls. I thought it worked slick and convinced me the USB port was likely functioning as designed.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:47 PM

I'll have to attempt the Memory stick idea. I'm not sure if it will work or not as I believe that the connection error is now no longer temporary. I did unplug the Hyundai cable and rotate it so that just the 1/8" jack was still plugged in and The head unit does switch to AUX and I am able to play music from the Ipod. The thing here is; I bought this car with the Ipod intergation ability and I plan on holding Hyundai to it until it is resolved. I also tried a co-workers Ipod Classic 120Gig model and it does the same thing as mine. I'll update again once I try the memory stick.

Thanks for your replies so far. If anyone has more information; I'd love to hear from you.

Old 12-11-2008, 03:06 PM

Sorry, I should have read your earlier thread. When I turn off the engine, my ipod 16 gig nano, powers off and turns on again when the car is started. So far no problems in that regard.

Old 12-11-2008, 04:31 PM

UPDATE: I did attempt the flash drive but it too was stuck in a loading sequence. I sgould also note that when I connect the Ipod with the Hyundai cable; the Ipod screen does show up with the load icon. To me; this means that the Ipod is seen but for some not yet know reason; will not connect. My car goes back in on Tuesday for more of the same.

As far as I know; the Ipod is supposed to be removed and then re-connected after the engine is started. This is stated in the owners manual and they caution against leaving the Ipod connected.

If anyone knows where I can find the ACTUAL wiring diagrams (not color codes) please let me know. I am very interested in seeing how they connect the USB to the head unit. I am wondering if the USB is a direct plug in to the head unit OR if the USB goes through the BCM.

Old 12-11-2008, 06:46 PM

If anyone knows where I can find the ACTUAL wiring diagrams (not color codes) please let me know.
From http://www.hmaservice.com/. Connector M140 is the one that plugs into the bottom of the iPod/USB adapter in the center console. I hope this helps.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4972/51E02EF383C3405CB59E27584AF2563E.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/4972/3A49A2E432504139863FBDFBE2AC594E.jpg[/IMG]

This schematic shows the connections inside the adapter box holding the plugins.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4972/8F0924012098414EA7A838382E997D72.gif[/IMG]

The head unit with connector diagram.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4972/4B556CF40C194A228CF2BCF49150D4D5.gif[/IMG]

Old 12-11-2008, 09:26 PM

WOW! thanks for those! They did help a bit. It looks like it is a direct feed into the head unit and it does not go through the BCM. I'll have to print these out and try to make some sort of sense of them for the Dealer.

EDIT: Scratch the above. M09-E supplies the Ipod which IS fed from the BCM module. Looks like I'll have to have them check the 5Volt to and from the BCM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2009 Limited Ipod issues (not the normal ones)