Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

2009 Sonata brake problema

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 08:17 AM
Default 2009 Sonata brake problema

Just got back from fixing the entire brake system on my 09 Sonata with less than 30,000 miles on it, both front and rear brakes. Is this an issue with this car? Drums, rotars, calipers all had to be fixed. Took the old parts to another repair shop to see if I got ripped off, but they said it was a wonder I had any brakes at all with the condition of the old parts. I did not expect that a car built as good as this one would have this type of peoblem so early in its life.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator

I don't think you know what you are talking about. First, the 2009 Sonata doesn't have drum brakes. There is no problem with the Sonata brakes, it's a problem with the person that worked on them. Find a better mechanic.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:54 AM

Sorry I mis-spoke ..... DH took the car to get inspected at the Hyundai dealer and while it passed inspection barely, they suggested getting the pads fixed on the brakes as they were almost completely worn down. DH got a price from the dealer which was way too expensive. So, he got other prices from around town and he got lifetime pads from a local place, but they also had to replace the calipers and rotors due to excessive wear and pitting. Like I said, DH took the old parts to another place to make sure they were worn out and the other place said we were lucky we did not have the brakes completely lock up on us. The car had less than 30,000 miles on it at the time and both the dealer and repair place told DH we needed to drive it more.

We live in a very rural area and we drive mostly highway miles, so there is not a lot of brake use like in a city situation. Otherwise, we love our car and have no other problems with it.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

30,000 miles in 3 years is low mileage. Especailly if you do highway miles like you claim. Do you live in an area that get's a lot of snow and uses salt on the roads during the winter? Is the car garaged or left outside? If the answer is yes then it's normal. Rotors pit when wet and driven on salt-covered roads.

Last edited by NovaResource; 08-16-2012 at 08:53 AM.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:17 AM

Yes, we live in snow country, but last winter we had virtually no snow, just rain all winter. And yes, the car sits outside. So, I guess I should expect this on every car we buy (even though it has never happened before with such low mileage)?

Old 08-25-2012, 04:07 PM

Hello All Master Auto Tech now works as BreakDown Insurance Inspector.
I own a 2009 Hyundai Sonota, with 55k as of now, I am from California and Just moved to the North East States as Minn, South Dakota, North Dakota Area.
This car has been awesome but now that it has 55k, I have just replaced the front Pads & Rotors only because I want to start fresh here in the snowy area.

any ways Brakes have been awesome sorry no problems but I will be monitoring here just check in. I am gonna start a new post that starts with a Trans issue that I will do and list all follow up info about thanks RH.