Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

2009 sonata low beams

Old 10-05-2009, 02:16 PM
Default 2009 sonata low beams

Does anyone have a fix for the poor quality oem low beam lights (h11b)? I don't see any aftermarket higher wattage, brighter bulbs available

Old 10-05-2009, 04:46 PM

Poor quality? The low beams 'cut-off' just great so as not to blind oncoming drivers, have a nice spread to illuminate the sides of the road, and have an even illumination level across the entire width of the beam spread.

If you feel yours are poor in their quality of illumination, try have the aim adjusted first.

The high-beams are retina cookers.... (I'm from the old 'sealed-beam' days).

Old 10-07-2009, 06:02 AM
Default 2009 sonata low beams

The illumination is of such poor quality that the car is a hazzard to drive at night in areas of total darkness. My 2009 Santa Fe has the same problem as does a friends '09 Santa Fe. The Sales Manager at the dealer where I bought both cars has the same problem with his personal Hyundia. The beams are so "focused" that when going down or up a hill or around a corner it's as if you're wearing a long brimed cap and blinders. The dealer has made alignment adjustments to no avail. They said there's nothing more they can do. I have found numerous web sights devoted to this complaint. No one has gotten any satisfaction from Hyundia. It has been suggested that if enough people contact NHTSA, Hyundia might have to issue a recall. In the meanwhile, if you know of any HID conversion kits for that particular bulb (H11B) or a legal upgrade for it, I'd appreciate an update.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:24 PM

Well, it isn't the fault of the bulbs then.... look more at the design of the reflectors & lenses. A pair of factory fog lamps would help you a lot more than changing bulbs.

Lighting for automobiles has to meet federal standards, otherwise the vehicle can't hit the street. NTSHA contact may not do very much, as it was the government that approved the lights to start with.

Last edited by Jim in Indy; 10-19-2009 at 02:48 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:46 PM

I'm surprised at this post as I think my headlights are fantastic. Better than my wife's Honda Odyssey's. Sounds like those type of driving conditions (total darkness) should be handled with the high-beams.

Old 10-21-2009, 03:01 PM

I have a 2004 Sonata and the dims were really bad. I spent $90 and bought a HID kit for the low beams. I got as close to stock as possible (35w - 5000k). They made a HUGE difference. And before everyone starts with the "you will blind the oncoming vehicles" I have had these for 4 Months and drive about 3000 miles a month. Not ONE car has flashed me once with the dims on. They look factory.

Old 03-19-2011, 12:00 PM
Default 2010 headlights low beams annoying "window shade"

We have the same problem with our new 2010 Sonata. The low beams have some sort of "window shade," so the bottom half of the beam is bright, then there is a very sharp cut-off line, and the top half is black. Probably an attempt to avoid blinding oncoming drivers? Trouble is, when there is a small valley in the road, the beams reach only a very short distance ahead. And when there are bumps in the road, oncoming drivers and drivers ahead of us think we are flashing our lights at them! The cut-off is much too sharp! When we have to switch to high beams to see the road ahead, oncoming drivers then get blinded.
A few people suggested a solution, but I would really appreciate details of what they found.