Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

2009 v6 engine noise at startup

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 09:11 PM
Default 2009 v6 engine noise at startup

I have a 2009 Sonata Limited. There is a loud noise at start up that sounds like a lifter tapping. It does it hot of cold. The dealer service rep says it is the variable valve timing filling with oil and the noise is normal. The racket is embarrassing on such an otherwise great car. Has anyone experienced this racket?

Thanks for the help. The car currently has what ever oil and filter the Hyundai dealer used for it's first oil change so I assume it is all Hyundai stuff. I will be back at the dealer with the TSB for the timing chain tensioner in hand.

Check out the audio file I attached. It is a typical, if not mild, example of the noise.

Thanks for all the help. Hope I can return the favor.

Randy

Attached Files
File Type: zip
8 5-10-09 short.zip (73.1 KB, 650 views)

Last edited by bamawig; 06-23-2009 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Attach Audio file.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:40 PM
Banned

There's a TSB for the timing chain tensioner #08-EM-001-1. I think it applies to 2009 V6. Your dealer doesn't want to deal with it because it requires removing the motor to fix it. It talks about pinpoint the source of the sound, then checking for the sound again after 10 minutes.

http://www.jerrystout.us/sonata/tsb/...eplacement.pdf

Old 06-22-2009, 06:34 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, have the timing chain tensioner check. However, first make sure you aren't using an aftermarket oil filter. There is also a TSB out about a ticking noice caused from aftermarket oil filters. So if you have a non-Hyundai oil filter, change it first.

Last edited by NovaResource; 06-22-2009 at 05:08 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:25 PM

I use a Purolator oil filter, the element appears to be a more paper like. The FRAM and STP are stamped made in China, you can see excess glue on them, and they feel rough and cheap looking. I havn't seen a Hyundai branded cartridge filter, I change my filter every 7k miles, I use Mobil 1 5w20 EP oil run it about 14k miles highway. There is always a little lifter noise when cold.

Old 11-26-2010, 11:43 PM
Default 2007 Sonata 3.3 Limited

What is the difference between the OEM filter and an aftermarket one? I've owned a lot of cars in my day, and this is the first time I am hearing that I need a Hyundai filter for optimum performance. Can anyone provide me with a link to the service bulletin? TSB? I get SB, what does the T stand for? Techical, Troubleshooting?

I have not had to change the oil in my Sonata yet. When I bought it used, it had just been serviced. During the summer, there was no ticking noise on cold starts. Now that winter is here, I've noticed the ticking only because I'm usually outside the car cleaning off snow or scraping the frost off the windows. The ticking is not there when the car is warmed up, or even sitting overnight during the summer.

BTW, for those who may be concerned that I'm pushing the limits of mileage and oil life? The car has only gone 1300 miles since August, and the oil level is right up to full.

I did have to take the car in for a leaking valve cover recently. I'm really impressed with the warranty, and the quality of the repair/cleanup that was done.

Old 11-27-2010, 07:29 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, T is for Technical. And the reason the filters cause the problems generally has to do with the design of the drain back valve and the slightly more restrictive flow of oil through the filter. However, that only applies to spin-on filters. Not the cartridge type filter used in the Lambda engine in your 3.3L Sonata.

Old 11-28-2010, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by NovaResource
Yes, T is for Technical. And the reason the filters cause the problems generally has to do with the design of the drain back valve and the slightly more restrictive flow of oil through the filter. However, that only applies to spin-on filters. Not the cartridge type filter used in the Lambda engine in your 3.3L Sonata.
Thx Nova Resource.
I'll change the filter first. Can you give me a heads up about the timing chain tensioner? I got the impression reading some of the other posts on the forum that the tensioner on the 3.3 should not have any issues. It was more of a problem on the 2.4?

Old 11-28-2010, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

No, just the opposite. I believe the Theta 2.4L is fine, it's the Lambda V6 that had the issue.

Last edited by NovaResource; 11-28-2010 at 08:18 PM.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:19 PM

New tensioner should be in use for last 2+ yr now... (3.3/3.8)

Tensioner will have chain hashing sound at cold start for few seconds, not a mechanical pecking like heard in audio clip..

Old 11-29-2010, 08:00 AM
Default I had a visit with the egional service rep about this noise.

After several trips to the dealer concerning the noise my 2009 Sonata 3.3 was making, I requested and got a visit from the regional service rep. He listened to my car, started several new 3.3 Sonatas on the lot and determined they all make the same noise. Mine was just was a lot louder.

He drew a nice picture of the cam chain tensioner and said the ratchet portion of the tensioner was supposed to maintain tensioner position but would slip and allow the tension to decrease when the engine was off. Repositioning the tensioner is done with engine oil so the cam chain would "slap around" until oil pressure builds up. When ask if it would be a problem in the future, he said "well this is the way it is designed so it should be OK".

Not much comfort.

On the oil filter subject: I used the Hyundai dealer for the first 2 oil changes. I changed it myself recently and was surprised to find the filter housing void of oil. I guess the oil drains when the engine is off and has to be filled before any oil get to the moving parts on startup. Go figure!

Quick Reply: 2009 v6 engine noise at startup