Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

2011 Sonata Engine Oil

Old 04-10-2010, 09:13 PM
Default 2011 Sonata Engine Oil

I'm hoping someone who knows can clairify something for me.

My Hyundai dealer told me that the 2011 Sonata line REQUIRES synthetic oil in the engine. When looking at the specs for the motor it says "API Service SM, ILSAC GF-4 or above".

As far as I know GF-4 does not mean synthetic. Does anyone know for sure whether or not the engine oil in the 2011 Sonata (SE) actually REQUIRES synthetic engine oil?

Thanks.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:03 AM

(From the API web site) -SM- For all automotive engines presently in use. Introduced November 30, 2004. SM oils are designed to provide improved oxidation resistance, improved deposit protection, better wear protection, and better low-temperature performance over the life of the oil. Some SM oils may also meet the latest ILSAC specification and/or qualify as Energy Conserving.

The API Certification Mark "Starburst" is designed to identify engine oils recommended for a specific application (such as gasoline service). An oil may be licensed to display the Starburst only if the oil satisfies the most current requirements of the International Lubricant Standardization and Approval Committee (ILSAC) minimum performance standard for this application (currently GF-4 for passenger cars). Many automobile manufacturers recommend oils that carry the API Certification Mark.

Read your owners manual closely, speak with the Service Adviser at your dealership directly, and read the top of the can/bottle before you purchase.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:15 AM

That's good info but unfrotunately still doesn't really answer the question.

I guess the goal was to try and find out without talking again with the dealer. Of course they are going to tell me to put synthetic in it so they can charge me more. I was hoping to find out the real answer on whether or not the motor actually REQUIRES synthetic as the salesperson said.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Carob
That's good info but unfrotunately still doesn't really answer the question.

I guess the goal was to try and find out without talking again with the dealer. Of course they are going to tell me to put synthetic in it so they can charge me more. I was hoping to find out the real answer on whether or not the motor actually REQUIRES synthetic as the salesperson said.
What does the owner's manual say on this topic? Based on what I read on page 8-4, synthetic is not required. Hyundai is pretty picky about fluid specifications. If synthetic were required, the manual would say so. Also, the severe maintenance interval for oi and filter changes is still 3,750 miles. Most dealers in the US will insist US driving conditions are severe. Synthetic oil offers no advantage over conventional types when changed this frequently.

When the salesman told you this, were his lips moving?

Last edited by ken99; 04-11-2010 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-11-2010, 02:39 PM

That's exactly my point. The only thing the book says is what I wrote so I'm curious as to why the salesman said the car REQUIRES synthetic. The only thing I could think is that those codes mean something different than what I know.

They also told me 6 mos or 7,500 miles on the changes.

Old 04-11-2010, 03:05 PM

The only thing I could think is that those codes mean something different than what I know.
Next time you go shopping for oil, look at the API service codes on the bottle. Unless it happens to be old stock (like years old), every oil on the shelf with an API rating (conventional, blend or sysnthetic) will be rated "SM". Most, if not all, will also be rated "GF-4".

They also told me 6 mos or 7,500 miles on the changes.
Go to page 7-17 in the manual and read the footnotes for engine oil and filter maintenance. If your new Sonata never encounters any of these conditions, then you can follow the normal usage schedule of 7,500 miles. Item "G" is usually a gotcha. Most dealerships always follow the severe interval chart when servicing cars.

so I'm curious as to why the salesman said the car REQUIRES synthetic.
Take the manual back to him and ask the question.

Old 04-11-2010, 05:26 PM

None of the severe conditions will apply to this vehicle. It probably doesn't matter much anyway. Their maintenance plan, which I purchased for this car, only covers 6 mos or 7,500 mi. But, 6 mos will be up long before 7,500 mi anyway.

Although, I will have the oil changed after 1,100 or 1,200 miles anyway since it's a new engine. (I know, today's engines don't require it. But I still do. )

I will probably call at some point and ask one of the service techs the question just to see what they way.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:39 PM

I'm hoping someone who knows can clairify something for me.

My Hyundai dealer told me that the 2011 Sonata line REQUIRES synthetic oil in the engine. When looking at the specs for the motor it says "API Service SM, ILSAC GF-4 or above".

As far as I know GF-4 does not mean synthetic. Does anyone know for sure whether or not the engine oil in the 2011 Sonata (SE) actually REQUIRES synthetic engine oil?

Thanks.
From what we were told by instructor a few yr back, all the timing chain engines built in the USA are coming with synthetic in them.. majority of dealers is using plain old motor oil, unless customer request synthetic oil, and at an added cost. We use Mobil 5-30 plain oil, and offer the MOBIL-1 5-30 synthetic if custimer request.

Required, no. I went to 2011 New Model the first of Feb, nothing was noted.

All current oils on the shelf should meet the American Petroleum Institute level SM.... I went out to garage and grabbed my bottle of MOBIL-1 5-30 oil, and it meets LSAC GF-4, API SM, SL, CF