Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

2011 sonata not starting-push in starting

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 08:25 PM
Default 2011 sonata not starting-push in starting

Lately I have had trouble starting my car. I have the kind that you press on the brakes, and push the button. Of course when I took it in, they couldn't find the problem.. In the manual, it has instructions how to start if you can't enter the fob in the consul , (it didn't start when I did) Per the instructions you hold the starting button down, then it starts...Since then it has happen 3 more times.. does starting it this way hurt the car? or should I insist that they check something else???

Old 02-13-2011, 10:34 AM

intermittent problems are a nightmare. but i have seen this several times on the YF sonata with the push button start. Typically it is a faulty or mis adjusted brake switch. if you have been in several times for this and they cant duplicate the concern then perhaps you should leave the vehicle with them for a day to see if they can duplicate it, ask them to open a case with hyundai to try to get your issue resolved.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:38 PM
Default Thanks

I will suggest that... Thank you so much

Old 02-14-2011, 12:35 PM

glad to help. good luck

Old 07-13-2011, 03:02 PM
Default starting problem figured out

I got my 2011 Sonata in December '10, and this problem happened a few times to me. Yesterday, it happened again, and then this morning. I actually called the dealer's service dept to ask them how to start the car. They said press the brake as hard as it will allow, and hold the ignition button for 30 to 35 seconds. It worked.

I brought the car in right away; it was a faulty brake switch. They changed it out, and said it should be fine now. You should bring it back to your dealer for that warranty repair.

Oh, and there's a recall on the fuel door - you can get that done too, while you're there!

Old 03-26-2012, 04:40 PM

Got my Sonata in March 2011. I've had start push-button problems as described above since February this year. Glad I found this forum. It's been very helpful thanks. I contacted my dealer with the MiaGirl response and they are looking into it. Nice when you can suggest options to a dealer. Will post results when I've had my visit-to-fix-it experience. Thanks all.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:52 AM
Smile

If you press the start/stop button once it will turn on accessory, if you press and hold it again for 10 seconds it will bypass the brake switch and start.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:52 PM
Smile Thread helped me get my car started

On Friday the 13th , April- my 2011 Hyundai Sonata wouldnt start-said brake needed to be pushed-i pushed and pushed to no avail. Read this thread, and saw the post how to start---push brake in real hard and at same time push button and hold for about seconds. it worked. Thank you, I thought the day was indeed bad luck. Now to get it to my dealer to say - faulty brake switch. Thanks yall.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:11 PM
Smile Report Back - glitch fixed

From my post on 03-26-12: Reported results from this forum to my local Hyundai dealer. Took my 2011 Sonata 2.0T in for them to check it out. They took out existing brake switch, oiled up and tested it as a temporary fix and ordered a replacement part. Two weeks later, part came in and they called.

Took 15 minutes max for them to replace old brake switch. All is good. Excellent service. Appreciate help from all in the forum. Made the fix go even easier. Much thanks.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:01 PM
Default start button not working

My 2011 Hyundai Sonata (push button start) has had this problem twice - I depress brake pedal, push button, and car electrical stuff works but engine does not turn over. My husband found this thread and used the advice and it worked - push brake pedal HARD and press and hold Start button to turn the engine turn over. I will be getting the dealership to check the brake switch when I bring it in for an oil change. BTW - the battery was fine - got that checked since I thought that the problem was battery charge...

Thanks for the great advice - it saved me a tow!!!

Quick Reply: 2011 sonata not starting-push in starting