Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

2011 Sonata Push Button Staring Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 10:20 AM
Default 2011 Sonata Push Button Staring Problem

Ive had a problem with my car which started after having it a year, and is only an intermittant problem. It will start with no problems, but it seems that occassionally it will refuse to allow it. It feels like the brake pedal does not depress as much as it should, a very hard feel, which seems like it doesn't allow the switch to engage. This then does not allow the car to do more than allow for accessory mode when trying to start it. After several attempts at this, and inserting the key fob in the console slot (which does nothing) which the manual suggests, the car will inexplicably start by doing nothing more usually after sitting for a while. It's very annoying. I have not brough it into the dealer yet, but was hoping that someone else might have a definitive reason for this.

Old 07-02-2011, 03:44 PM

I just had the same issue myself today. It is the brake pedal switch that is bad. it is a quick fix by the dealer.

To override if you can't start:

1) Without pressing the brake pedal press the start once and wait a few seconds.
2) Press the start and hold the button in for 20 seconds and the car should then start.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:08 AM

I actually just had the dealer look at it, and they replace the switch. They told me it's a problem they've been seeing more often lately. Great to know about the over ride in case it happens again. . . or for anyone else has the problem!

Old 07-13-2011, 03:05 PM

Just had the same issue fixed!

Old 08-07-2011, 07:53 PM

Thanks for the info, been deling with this issue on and off for awhile now. Taking it in to the dealer tomorrow.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:26 PM

I've had this problem 4 times and the dealer has no idea what is causing it.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:13 PM
Default Start button not working, brake pedal stiff

I am having the same issues like everyone else is having. We have a 2011 Limited and we have had it since 2010. We just started having this issue. Not only is the button not working, the brake pedal is stiff, and now the shifter doesn't shift after starting the car. The shifter was replaced, along with the brake switch and seemed to be fine.

However, after replacing the shifter, if the car doesn't work and I have to use the override procedure, then the car will not shift into gear. I had to open the shift lock to get the shifter to move. I am going to take the car back to the dealer on Monday to see what's going on now.