Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

2011 Sonata SE Steering Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 08:36 AM
Smile 2011 Limited

OK everyone, I put in a post on how my vehicle was pulling to the left very bad about a month ago. I took it into the dealership and they corrected the problem, an aligment and tire pressure check. Vualah!!!!! I am in love again...lol

Old 09-02-2010, 09:35 AM

With regards to any 2011 sonata steering wheel problems....Please report this to the NHTSA. You can report it on line or call them to file a complaint at 1-888-327-4236. If no one reports it they won't be able to make sure the issue is taken care of and someone could be hurt.
The dealer will not report it for you.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:29 PM

Hello Everyone!

I'm a junior member. I read into this steering issue on this forum after I bought my 2011 Sonata SE. I am a bit concerned for the future but my Sonata drives straight and true. No issues as of yet. I'll just continue to monitor it. How many miles did people have before they noticed it? Thanks for any info.

Retro

Old 09-03-2010, 06:58 AM
Super Moderator

Don't worry, if you don't have problems now I highly doubt you will. Most of the prople with problems have had these problems from the start. Also, the majority of Sonatas don't have this problem.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:25 AM
Unhappy Steering problems with new Sonata

I have a 2011 Sonata SE and I mentioned in an earlier post that I had the car less than two weeks when it developed a rattle in the steering column. Something was definitely loose! The first visit to the dealer, they drove it around the parking lot, felt nothing and tried to explain away what I was feeling. I drove it for the rest of the week but ended up going back the next week and told them to hop in the car with me to take it on a "real world" test ride (not a parking lot) and the mechanic finally admitted something was not right. Ya think?! They had the car two days, replaced a part which they felt was causing the problem and lo and behold. . . . it was not the source of the problem! Rattle is still there and it seems to be getting worse (it may be only because I am more in tune to it). Hyundai engineering has been brought in on it and now they want to replace the entire steering column. Another 2 days or so visit to the service shop on a car with less that 2000 miles on it! In my book, not good for Hyundai's reputation. It is a shame. I really like the car except for this problem but if this does not end the problem once and for all, I will insist that they take the car back. In Maine, we have a lemon law that I can and will invoke.
Thanks everyone for the info. The AP article on the NHTSA investigating an issue that sounds a lot like mine has me convinced that this is not an isolated problem. I will be filing a complaint with NHTSA today so this does not get swept under the rug.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:47 AM
mbm

My Limited pulls a bit too. Might be the tires, will let you all know what the dealer says.

Old 09-04-2010, 07:26 PM
Default Samse for me but still not happy

Originally Posted by americanfa
OK everyone, I put in a post on how my vehicle was pulling to the left very bad about a month ago. I took it into the dealership and they corrected the problem, an aligment and tire pressure check. Vualah!!!!! I am in love again...lol
My car no longer seems to constantly pull to the right or to have what I called "squirrelly steering" but it just not steer as well as my old 2001 Mitsibishi Galant. Constantly having to correct the steering. Since this was to be my "last car" I'm not overwhelmingly pleased by my Sonota SE. I love everything about it but the steering.

Old 09-06-2010, 03:19 PM

I leased a 2011 Sonata SE on Saturday. Now I wish I had done more research about this steering problem before I signed the lease. So far, the steering is OK, but the horn has a problem. It works only about 75% of the time (at least over the three days that I've had it.) I'm taking it back to the dealer tomorrow. I wonder if the steering problem is related to a horn problem? I'm definitely going to ask at the dealership tomorrow, but I know that I'll just get the old song-and-dance from them.

Old 09-10-2010, 05:04 PM
Default Steering problems with new Sonata

I just got my Sonata back the rattling in the steering column is fixed. They had to replace the steering column to do so but I took it over a rough road to check it out and everything appears to be tight. I did report the issue to the NHTSA so they could keep track.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:02 AM
mbm

That's extreme, but I'm delighted to hear they were able to cure it. I'm going to mention this to my dealer as well. Would you be willing to provide the name of your dealer and perhaps a contact in service?

Quick Reply: 2011 Sonata SE Steering Problem