Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

2011 Sonata Turbo check engine light came on

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 11:47 AM

The dealer still has my car b/c they say they can't get the fuel rail part - that it's on back order. What part of the country are you in?

Old 02-02-2011, 05:56 PM

East Coast. It took them a whole week, but I think part of that was due to the snow. The truck was a day and a half behind on delivery.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:46 PM
Default Update - the saga continues...

My car is still at dealer (day 26 for this last visit). The dealer called me today and said that even after replacing the fuel injector, the #3 cylinder was still misfiring. They had a Hyundai rep go down to the dealer and look at it and their recommendation was to replace the whole engine because no one can figure out what's wrong with it. So it will take at least another week to get a new engine. By that time, the car will have been in the shop for more than 30 days making it qualify as a lemon under my state's lemon law. Dealer has offered to compensate me for roughly two months worth of car payments if I just let them replace the engine (assuming this would fix it - it could be an ECU problem, who knows?!). I am contacting a couple of lemon law attorneys to get more educated on the process and go from there.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:20 AM

Same car, same issue for me. Is there any update on your problem? Was it fixed? I am headed in for my third visit to the dealer. No one can figure out what is wrong with the car. I keep getting the misfire code within a few days after visiting the dealer to have it reset. I would be interested to know how your situation turned out. This is very annoying as I have been in for service at least once per week in the month I have owned the car. First time with a Hyundai and so far not impressed!! Hopefully they can fix it - I would like to remain a "junior member".

Old 03-06-2011, 09:21 AM

Same car, same issue for me. Is there any update on your problem? Was it fixed? I am headed in for my third visit to the dealer. No one can figure out what is wrong with the car. I keep getting the misfire code within a few days after visiting the dealer to have it reset. I would be interested to know how your situation turned out. This is very annoying as I have been in for service at least once per week in the month I have owned the car. First time with a Hyundai and so far not impressed!! Hopefully they can fix it - I would like to remain a "junior member".
I did finally get my car back on Feb 25th, so they had it over a month. They got the Hyundai tech line support involved and said they actually had a rep go to the dealer in person. Even then, they still couldn't figure it out so they replaced the entire engine! My repair order says the techline case # is 4270332 in case you want to pass along to your dealer. Maybe they can speed things up for you. It seems to be ok for now, but I can't say I have much confidence in the Hyundai product after this experience, so time will tell. Also, another thing to note is that they replaced my from strut assembly to fix the chronic pulling left issue. I know a lot of others on this board have experienced that too. This was after replacing the camber bolts failed to fix the problem.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:32 PM

I just dropped mine off at the dealer yesterday, same code, cylinder 3 misfire. This is the second time. But talking to the tech, they had another 2011 sonata turbo with around 1200 miles with the exact same issue in for over a week. He said they think they tracked it down to some bad bearings in the turbo unit that failed. Could be a bad batch. Anyway, that guy keep driving it and blew the engine, they are replacing it. I’ll pass along bushjam’s techline case #, but this is sounding less uncommon. Sucks! Have had the car for a month and its been to the dealer 3 times!

Old 04-10-2011, 07:00 PM

I had the same situation happen to me on my 2011 sonata turbo. Engine light came on just a few days after I bought it in December. Took it to the dealer they checked the codes and said it was an O2 sensor. After waiting a few days for the part to come in, they replaced and a couple of days later, the light came on again. Back to the dealer, they said it was giving a code that was not on known. They called the Hyundai Tech line and they also said they would need to do an update ECU software. Had to wait a few weeks waiting for Hyundai to send the dealer the so called "update". After going back and them performing the update, the light came back on about a week later. It only came on for about a day and went off by itself as it has previously done. Called the dealer and they told me to bring it back to see what code it recorded. Haven't gone back yet. This will be my fourth time going back for this problem. Although the car seems to be running fine, I am also getting concerned with this problem. It is a shame since I do like the car very much. If anyone else has any information about this problem, please let me know. I will also update as soon as I get the car back to the dealer and find out what they say now.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:59 AM

Eh. Me too. I am in for the fourth visit now. So far the dealership has driven my new car more than I have. They seem to be taking a trial and error approach, replacing various parts each time until something happens to work. Based on these comments, I am not optimistic. I would be interested to know if anyone has heard of a definitive solution for what is causing these issues.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:35 AM

2011 Hyundai Sonata Limited 2.OT - bought this car new in January, 2011. Just turned 2,000 miles. It has been to the dealer 4 times for recurring problem. Same diagnosis each time: cylinder 1 misfire (system code P0301) Engine light stays on, car sputters and skips when cold. Runs fine after it warms up. Each time I bring it in for repair, the dealer checks with Hyundai and they have recommend same thing as the others on this forum - switch coils, change oxygen sensor, update software, etc. Nothing has worked. If this isn't remedied soon, I too will study Connecticut's lemon law and consider hiring an attorney. I'm beginning to think of this car as a cheap junk. My previous car was a 2004 Honda Accord EX, which I gave to my daughter. In seven years the Accord required one repair other than usual maintenance. What a difference.

Last edited by dmanc; 05-24-2011 at 12:46 AM.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:48 AM

I had the exact same symptoms dmanc and was in to the dealer four different times. They finally replaced the fuel rail and all of the injectors in my car and it seems to have done the trick. Over a month and 4k miles now without the check engine light, and it no longer runs rough when I start it.

Quick Reply: 2011 Sonata Turbo check engine light came on