Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

99 Hyundai Sonata v6 GLS HIGH IDLE. HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 05:39 PM
D&L
Unhappy 99 Hyundai Sonata v6 GLS HIGH IDLE. HELP!!!

OK. So my father just replaced the engine on my car (engine has only 32,000 miles) and lately it' s been idling high. One notch above the 1 (whatever that means). It doesn't matter if it's hot or cold outside or if i just start the car or have been driving for an hour. Then if i come to a stop, it revs a little bit higher. My fiance took the car to the auto parts and they told him it was the idle control valve and explained how to lower it. But unfortunately it didn't work. If there's some one who can help me i would really appreciate it. I would hate to have to replace anything else on this car. The engine was expensive enough.

Thank you in advance and God bless!!!

Old 02-02-2009, 06:51 PM
Banned

It's either a bad "idle control valve" or you have an intake leak. Is this what you did?

1999 > G 2.4 DOHC > Fuel System
THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR (TPS) ADJUSTMENT (2.4 DOHC)
Connect a HI-SCAN to the data link connector.

[See large image...]
If a HI-SCAN is not used, connect a digital type voltmeter between connector 1 and 3.

[See large image...]
Turn the ignition switch to the ON position (do not start engine) and check that the TP Sensor output voltage is as specified. If a HI-SCAN is used, press code No. 14 and read the voltage.
If it is out of specification, loosen TP Sensor mounting screws and adjust by turning the TP Sensor.

[See large image...]
a.
Turning the TP Sensor clockwise increases the output voltage.
b.
Tighten the screws securely after adjustment.
Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.

Last edited by NovaResource; 09-20-2011 at 02:42 PM.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:51 PM
D&L

it's the "fiance" replying now. i moved what i believe is the idle control valve, to see if it was what i was looking for, and to my hearing it sounded right so i put it to it's lowest position and the check engine light went off a bit after driving it for a few mins. im not a mechanic so most of what you werre saying kinda looked like alien language to me lol. and another thing...if you intended for images to show up, they didnt, maybe then i would have understood a little better. thanks alot anyways.

if you or anybody else can maybe give a few more helpful pointers, maybe just to be aware of other things concerning this or related issues, PLEASE do share you info. Grace & Peace

Old 02-03-2009, 06:09 PM

Check all of your vacum hoses you may have one mising or lose.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:08 PM
D&L

AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH even better now!!! is it possible that messing around with the idle control valve could cause my gears to shift way to late...4ex; (keep in mind my car is an automatic) i have to reach about 4500 rpms before my transmission kicks into 2nd gear, so the engine is heard revving crazy before it shifts into gear, im hitting 40+ mph before i hit 2nd gear!!!. when im not trying to go faster than 30 mph it acts like it wants to slow down like its down shifting similar to a manual transmission. another notable thing i realized was that it is possible to get up to higher speeds alot faster than normal, though i hope it doesn't ruin something else. what the heck did i do wrong!?!?! or did i do anything wrong at all? i tried setting the idle back to where it was- more or less- but my transmission/engine is still doing the same thing. i've had this car for over a year and never had the slightest problem with the trany. HELP!!! PLZ!!!

Last edited by D&L; 02-03-2009 at 11:17 PM. Reason: missing info
Old 02-03-2009, 11:20 PM
D&L

Originally Posted by bcrclr2006
Check all of your vacum hoses you may have one mising or lose.
its all there.... can you show some type of illustration on here pointing to a hose of some sort that might be loose or missing? or email it to me withpurposeandreason@yahoo.com
a link will also be helpful