Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

bumpy ride on freeway on 2011 sonata

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 11:31 PM
Question bumpy ride on freeway on 2011 sonata

I just bought a 2011 Sonata which I love. The only problem is the bumpy ride on the freeway. Is it just a case of new better riding tires? Sould I replace the shock absorbers? Does anybody have any experience with this? Thanks!

Old 04-20-2014, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

What wheels and tires are on it? What kind of shape is the road? I highly doubt it's the shocks/struts. They are only 3 years old. My 2006 Tucson is still riding on the factory originals.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:53 PM

I will try new tires in the fall to see if this helps.

Old 07-19-2014, 02:11 AM
Default 2014 Limited great car, rough ride

I just bought a new 2014 Sonata Limited, my first new car and am 66 yrs old now and have owned many cars in my life but never a brand new one till this one. I am really impressed with the car and have read up on the Sonatas for 2 years now. My problem is with the ride which seems to be the concensus from many people. When I test drove 2 of them I didn't notice it and both were with the 17 in 215/55/17 tires {Kuhmo Solus}, I guess everthing about the car impressed me so much I didn't really notice the poor ride it gives After 2 days I noticed it has a very stiff suspension also and I know the Kuhmo tires aren't the best for ride.
I really don't mind buying a new set of 17 in. tires but don't want to replace the nice looking brand new wheels with 16 in. which I know would give even better results but the car only has less than 1000 miles it and it's absurd to think about changing these new wheels.
It's really a shame that such a nice car like this actualy rides rougher than my old 81 Rabbit Diesel I've totaly redone and they weren't known for having a good ride in the first place. Hundai has been recieving complaints about this for some time now and should have a softer shock or something available. Monroe has a road shock sensing Spectrum shock available for the 2014 for the rear but no one I see has anything listed for the front. Are these the same front replacement cartridges for the 2010 Sonata struts which is also in the 6th generation Sonata?
Will the new tires Michelin Primacy or the equivilent Continentals ect. make a big difference in the ride. I've already let the tires down from 35 to 30 but don't want to go much farther for safety and mpg difference, not really woried much about tire life but I am about safety issues.
What have some of you Sonata owners done to improve the ride tirewise without changing the wheels also and did it make much of a difference in ride?
I haven't driven many new cars but do most of them ride as rough or close to this nowdays and will a different brand of tire alone help much? Other than the ride I'm really impressed with this car in every other way. I reallyl think it should have a softer shock too if they are available.
God help the people who bought the SE version which is supposed to ride even stiffer, what does Hyundai think we are doing with these cars to need such stiff suspensions? I'm thinking of pouring 2-3 inches of concrete in the trunk for more weight if tires won't help much.

Last edited by Rabbitman; 07-20-2014 at 09:09 PM.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:27 PM

I bought a set of four Continental brand tires. The ride has improved. Someone we gave a ride to today said, "Boy this car sure has a smooth ride." I just find the ride is not bothersome like it was before.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:56 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds like you didn't do a very good test drive. How long have you owned the car? Most delaers will allow you to return a car up to 30 days if you find it's not the correct car for you. Maybe you should try a lower level model with smaller wheels insted of changing parts on a brand new car.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:29 PM
Default shocks and struts interchangability

I have a 2014 Sonata Limited And am considering changing the shock absorbers and struts to something softer. Does anyone have any recomendations or is anything available at all to begin with. I check with Autozone but don't see shocks listed for anything newer than a 2010 for Monroe Spectrum shocks.
I've used those before and they give a nice ride which is what I'm after. I'm going to change the tires also but no way am I going to replace the wheels too.
I'm already kind of wishing I'd got a Honda Accord but other than the rough ride I really like the car otherwise except for the lack of visibility to see the front and rear of the car which I believe is pretty common on all of them now. Backing up without the camera reminds me of my old 1947 Ford but at least it had bumpers and so did the car in back of you!

Old 07-24-2014, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Rabbitman
I have a 2014 Sonata Limited And am considering changing the shock absorbers and struts to something softer. Does anyone have any recomendations or is anything available at all to begin with. I check with Autozone but don't see shocks listed for anything newer than a 2010 for Monroe Spectrum shocks.
I've used those before and they give a nice ride which is what I'm after.
Stop posting the same question multiple times in multiple threads.

I'm going to change the tires also but no way am I going to replace the wheels too.
I'm already kind of wishing I'd got a Honda Accord but other than the rough ride I really like the car otherwise except for the lack of visibility to see the front and rear of the car which I believe is pretty common on all of them now.
So you like the Sonata except for the rough ride, the shocks, the tires and the visibility out of the front and rear. WOW! You really need to learn how to test a car before you buy it. You sound exactly like what I'd expect a person that would buy an 81 Rabbit Diesel.
I'm already kind of wishing you got a Honda Accord too.

Backing up without the camera reminds me of my old 1947 Ford but at least it had bumpers and so did the car in back of you!
Guess what, your Sonata has bumpers too. They aren't chromed metal ones but it still has bumpers.
If you have trouble backing up your Sonata, I'd suggest selling it, cutting up your drivers license and getting a bus pass. You shouldn't be driving.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by lenny
I bought a set of four Continental brand tires. The ride has improved. Someone we gave a ride to today said, "Boy this car sure has a smooth ride." I just find the ride is not bothersome like it was before.
I finally got to the point I couldn't stand it anymore and bought a set of Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires for this 2014 Sonata Limited. I'd read a lot about these tires so I gave them a shot. Sams club had them for $117.95 and the car rides pretty decent now for 55 series tires.
I recomend anybody having KUHMO tires to change them if they want a better ride no matter how new they are. I changed mine at 2,700 mi. and it was the best $563 I ever spent and now my new car actually feels like a new one should.
I just wonder how many people buy new Hyundai's and Kia's and get rid of them or won't buy them in the first place because of the rough ride not knowing the KUHMO tires are most of the problem. If I would have known better when I bought the car I would have dickered with them for a set of Michelins in the beginning.
Maby I'll luck out and find a poor young guy who needs a set of tires and isn't too worried about the ride. He will get these Kuhmo's pretty cheap, probably nothing if he's down on his luck!