Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

Can't find anymore info on this error code, please help

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 11:57 AM
Default Can't find anymore info on this error code, please help

First let me start with my symptoms in hopes someone can answer if this is related to my error code:

My car doesn't rev past 5000rpm, this happens only when i put it to the floor. It used to shift rough andstall randomly at stop lights (sometimes green, eek!)but i changed my o2 sensors and that seemed to have fixed that. My car would also sometimes drop to almost failsafe mode (I think) and barely move, i would have to pull over, turn the car off, sit for a few mins then it would be fine again...

I got the car tested and the only error code that came back was a P0500 Speed Sensor "A" code. I have done some google searches and I found other Hyundai ownershave had it as well but I cannot find out which sensor I need to buy. According to Hyundai the speed sensors are in the P0700 range so now im even more confuse.

My Hyundai is a 2000 Sonata, V6 2.5L. Can anyone please tell me which sensor I need to buy, I can't find a name anywhere of which sensor I needand where does it install? Does P0500 sound like the solution to my above problem?

Thanks in advance!

Trevor

Old 05-29-2008, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Can't find anymore info on this error code, please help

P0500 =Vehicle Speed Sensor Malfunction

Basically this means that the vehicle's speed as read by the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) is not working properly. Lowervehicle's RPM limiteris one symptom.

Other symptoms may include:
- loss of anti-lock brakes
- the "anti-lock" or "brake" warning lamps on the dash may be lit
- the speedometer or odometer may not work properly (or at all)
- the shifting of an automatic transmission may become erratic

The Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) is not reading (functioning) properly or thereis a broken/frayed wire leading to the vehicle speed sensor. I believe on V6 cars the sensor is the same one for theright front wheel speed sensor.

First, check all wiring and connectors that lead to the speed sensor.If it is OK thencheck the voltage at the speed sensor.If everything looks OK, replace the sensor. Also, check the tone wheel on the axle to make sure it's not damaged/cracked.

Last edited by NovaResource; 08-09-2012 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Correct picture URL
Old 05-29-2008, 01:23 PM

ORIGINAL: NovaResource

P0500 =Vehicle Speed Sensor Malfunction

Basically this means that the vehicle's speed as read by the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) is not working properly. Lowervehicle's RPM limiteris one symptom.

Other symptoms may include:
- loss of anti-lock brakes
- the "anti-lock" or "brake" warning lamps on the dash may be lit
- the speedometer or odometer may not work properly (or at all)
- the shifting of an automatic transmission may become erratic

The Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) is not reading (functioning) properly or thereis a broken/frayed wire leading to the vehicle speed sensor. I believe on V6 cars the sensor is the same one for theright front wheel speed sensor.

First, check all wiring and connectors that lead to the speed sensor.If it is OK thencheck the voltage at the speed sensor.If everything looks OK, replace the sensor.
Hi NovaResource, thanks for responding. I do know that it means Vehicle Speed Sensor Malfunction, but when I call Hyundai or some other places to buy a speed sensor, they ask me which one, there are apparently four of them... Does P0500 mean it could be any one of those, a general error? When I changed my rotors and my bearings I did remove a sensor from the front right because I never did have ABS, I didn't even know I had ABS for years until I did some work on the car. Is this the sensor causing me problems, if so is there a specific name for it?

Trevor

Old 05-29-2008, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

If you removed it then that is your problem. Why did you remove it?

Put it back. It's the "Right Front Wheel Speed Sensor" (RF WSS). V6 cars used this sensor for the vehicle speed. 4 Cylinder cars used a sensor on the top of the transmission.

Tell the dealer to look upTSB (Technical Service Bulletin) 00-36-011

Old 05-29-2008, 01:31 PM

I removed it because it rusted right in there when i went to change the bearings a while ago, big mistake. Do they also refer to it as the ABS Sensor?

Old 05-29-2008, 01:37 PM

ah, i got it! thanks Nova, this was the exactly info I needed. Appreciated! looks like im gonna have some fun this weekend

Old 05-29-2008, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: trevord

I removed it because it rusted right in there when i went to change the bearings a while ago, big mistake. Do they also refer to it as the ABS Sensor?
I get it. I has issues with rusted parts on my 04 Tiburon. Hyundai needs to learn with anti-seize is.

Yes, I believe that all V6 Sonatascame with ABS so Hyundai used the signal from right front wheel speed sensor as the vehicle speed sensor. 4-cyl cars without ABS used a speed sensor attached to the transmission because there was no wheel speed sensors.

Good luck this weekend.

Old 05-29-2008, 01:46 PM

I agree, my calipers were also seized, I fixed that as well...

I had never knew Ihad ABS since i bought the car, when i pulled the front apart I realized that I did but they never worked. So my thought was "I need to get to the bearings but I can't get this sensor off, I never had ABS so this thing is useless to me, the only way to get any further is to cut this off!" so i snipped it and banged the sensor out by tearing it in half, it wouldn't move! at least now I know why this sensor is extremely important, my odometer hasnt worked in the past few years, this must be why, i had never experienced the symptoms I am having now until I completely removed it.

Thanks again NovaResource

Old 05-30-2008, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator

If you don't have ABS, there is one vehicle speed sensor on one wheel (on my Elantra its the front right; I think this is typical of Hyundais). That's the sensor that sends information to the speedo. If you removed it, I would think your speedo doesn't work. If you only have one sensor (and not one on each wheel), you don't have ABS.