Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

car wont start, no ignition, no fuel, but cranks well

Old 04-01-2012, 10:03 AM
Default car wont start, no ignition, no fuel, but cranks well

The car cranks well, but does not start. Thought i'd tell the full story as it could give a clearer picture.

few weeks back, while in traffic, engine stopped with no prior warning. Tried to start it again several times but did not work. removed a spart plug wire and checked for ignition sparks, and it was not firing. Iniitially thought it was an electrical problem, so checked all fuses etc, but no luck. Leter realized that the balancing belt inside timing belt compartment was the culprit. It had failed and resulted in serious damage to crank shaft position sensor, splitting the sensor in to peices (possibly short circuiting sensor wires). Luckily it had not damagd the timing belt.

last week replaced the balancing belt, timing belt (just to be sure), crank shaft sensor plate and and the crank shaft position sensor. The mechanic was realiable and know what he was doing (mechanical side). But the car would not start. It cranks well, still no ignition and no fuel. Since the mechanic is not fluent with the electrical side, i did following diagnosis my self without any luck.

1. Scanned the ECU - There is a fault code related to intake air temparature sensor. This is not related the car wont start problem i am having as far as i know. Other than this code, no other codes. If i unplug the crank sensor and try to start the car, a fault code related to crank sensor appears however. I did this to see if the ECU takes the new sensor input properly. However i am not sure ECU not reporting a fault code related to sensor is enough to say that the sensor and input stage of the ECU related to the sensor is working.

2. checked all fuses - working

3. checked power in ignition coil input - present

4. checked the power in ECU relay near the ECU (with three pink wires and a 1 orange wire) - power present in all wires

5. removed the ECU and checcked for visible damage in PCB - none

Now i have gone out of options and need help seriously. Hope sombody can give me some more directions to look for.

Old 05-11-2013, 02:44 PM

if you have more fuel consumption try to check catalytic converter, sometimes scanner doesn't show catalytic fault code.

fuel pump?

if your car is with immobiliser check key for reprogramming or maybe ecu need to be replaced.

soory for my bad english