Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

Dealership/Timing chain tensioner problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 04:28 PM
Default Dealership/Timing chain tensioner problem

Ok, so i own a 2007 Sonata and I'm having the issue with the timing chain rattling on cold start up. I've been to the dealership closest to my house numerous times complaining about the problem, and i even brought in the print up of the technical service bulletin, for the timing chain tensioner. They continue to insist that it is a normal sound. I have about 1900 miles left on my warranty, and i would really like to get this issue fixed before it runs out. What further steps can i take to get this dealership to stop jerking me around, and replace my timing chain tensioner.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator

Either find a different dealer or call Hyundai to complain about the dealer that is refusing to do the work.
http://www.hyundaiusa.com/contact-us.aspx
1-800-633-5151

Old 09-07-2010, 08:51 PM

Yup, call every dealer in the region and tell them you gots an '07 with chain rattle on cold start...

Send me your VIN, and I can see if the tensioners been claimed or not..

The likely reason for "it's normal" is Hyundai cut the labor time approx 60% from what they originally was paying,,,,, so nobody really wants to do the the work for minimal pay.

They got other stuff that is more productive/better paying so they can make more money.. with the 60%+ cut in labor pay, there is barely any time to do a good job, and if it leaks oil, it's the dealer problem, as they were not carefull the first time when they had it apart and re-assemble.. so dealer and tech eat the oil leak, also source for coolant leak too.

After warranty or 2nd owner, any of them rattlers out there left over will make for good paying labor for the dealer and tech if they charge what warranty originally paid or regular customer pay time..

I did not really care to do them in the first place, only done 3 or 4 myself in last 3+ yr..

With all the recalls that running, Hyundai has taken and even cut the regular warranty time on stuff -- frame in Sonata & XG was 4.4hr, add .5 for steering gear ---> they cut it to same time as frame replace during recall... thats a 25% drop in pay...

Elantra/Tiburon frame & arm inspecct, they paying less for the drill, arm replace and coating than what we would normally get for 2 arm replace, they cut regular warranty time on any thing that mirrors the recalls..

Santa Fe drill frame, coat & replace rear arms is worse, techs practically doing them for FREE...

Last edited by sbr711; 09-07-2010 at 08:59 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:48 PM
Default Timing chair tensioner/ dealer issues

I too am having timing chain tensioner issues. I own an '06 Sonata with a 3.3L engine. The chain started making noise about a year ago with about 42,000 miles on the clock. I took it to the dealer last Spring and was told that it didn't make the noise long enough. I did an oil change on it last Sept. and found a lot of metal particles in the drain pan. I had it to the dealer in Dec. for an oil change and mentioned the noise to them again and was told the same thing. I called Hyundai support and after a few days was told to make another appointment with the dealer to have them check it out again. Again, I was told that it didn't make the noise long enough per the TSB. They also told me that the noise was "normal". I went right home and called Hyundai and expressed my disappointment with the whole situation. It will be a week tomorrow and I still haven't heard back from them. As far as I'm concerned, the noise isn't "normal". It didn't make the noise when we bought the car, which by the way, has been a very dependable car. I feel like I'm getting the run around. I'm beginning to feel like the only alternative is to take legal action. My wife and I bought this car because of its reputation and warranty. It seems like the warranty isn't all that it's cracked up to be.

Old 11-03-2014, 04:45 PM

Appears to affect vehicles with 3.3 V6 & 3.8 Azera. These are the Technical Service Bullitans (TSB) regarding this issue;
Date Announced: OCTOBER 01 2006
TSB #0620002
NHTSA ID #10021137
Summary: 3.3L & 3.8L TIMING CHAIN TENSIONER - PART UPDATE.

Date Announced: DECEMBER 01 2010
TSB #SB-10-EM-006
NHTSA ID #10038212
Summary: HYUNDAI: A REVISED PROCEDURE FOR REPLACING THE TIMING CHAIN TENSIONERS. *RM

Tensioner is supposed to maintain tensioner position but would slip and allow the tension to decrease when the engine was off. Repositioning the tensioner is done with engine oil, so the cam chain would "slap around" until oil pressure built up again.
Old tensioner is manufactured from plastic and replacement is manufactured from metal.
TSB instructed dealers not to replace the tensioners unless the timing chain rattled for an incredible 90 seconds at start up !!
A whining noise may indicate bad idler pulley.

This is a known issue and many have had dealer replace free of charge, even after over warranty time / mileage.

Can sign up for TSB information here;
https://www.hyundaitechinfo.com/

Here's link to posting of Hyundai-forum member who replaced timing tensioner himself;
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/nf-200...nf-sonata.html

Last edited by HSpeed; 11-14-2014 at 07:31 AM.