Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

Does an 07 sonata react when you lock it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 07:29 PM
Default Does an 07 sonata react when you lock it?

I just bought my 2007 sonata today and i noticed that when i lock it, it doesn't do anything. No flashing light or a beep.

Is there something wrong with my car? Or can this be programed?

Thanks!

Old 12-22-2009, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

Lock it with what? The key? The **** on the door? The remote key fob?

Old 12-22-2009, 10:45 PM

The remote... Sorry if that wasn't clear

Old 12-23-2009, 07:02 AM
Super Moderator

OK, if the lights don't flash when you lock it with the remote then something is wrong. The most common cause would be a door, the trunk or the hood is not closed all the way (or one of the switches is bad).

First thing to check is the dash. Are either the "door ajar" or "trunk open" light on? If not it might be the hood. Open the hood and look for the switch on the passenger side of the engine bay (#1 in the pic below).

The switch may have been misaligned accidently by a mechanic while working on the car and is no longer closing when the hood is closed. Push and hold the button by hand and they try locking the doors to see if the lights flash.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:40 AM

Thank you NovaResource! I will try it as soon as i pick up the car from firestone.

The thing is that when i unlock it the rear blinkers do flash. But nothing happens when i lock it.

Does the unlock work differently?

Old 12-23-2009, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

That just confirms it for me. If the lights flash on unlock but not on lock, then alarm is not setting because. That means one of the doors, the trunk or the hood is not fully closed or a switch is misaligned. My guess would be the hood as that's the most common one to become misaligned.

The flashing lights just indicates if the alarm is set. No light on lock, no alarm but the doors will still be locked. Don't worry, if the lights don't flash, the doors should still be locked. You should be able to hear the lock actuators.

Just to clarify:
- press lock = doors lock, lights flash once, alarm is set
- press unlock once = drivers door unlock, lights flash twice, alarm is disabled
- press unlock again with 3 seconds = other doors unlock, lights flash twice again

Last edited by NovaResource; 12-23-2009 at 10:10 AM.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator

Forgot to ask, did you get an owners manual with the car?

If not, you can get an electronic PDF copy here: http://www.hmaservice.com (you have to join but it's free) or you can PM me your email address and I'll email you a copy from there.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:29 PM

I love you i love you i love you!!!
I called the Hyundai dealership and they told me it is a programing thing. it will cost around 45-50 dollars to get fixed...

I just went to my car and did what you said and...... it worked! the only problem now is to figure out what i need to do so it will go down and register as closed. Any ideas? i'm thinking about some 2 way tape.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

I'm assuming you mean the switch for the hood. Two things could cause this problem:
- the rubber bumper on the hood is missing
- the bracket holding the switch bent

First check for the bumper on the underside of the hood. If it's missing you will need to replace it. A junkyard is an easy route but you could get one new from a delaership. I think it only costs about $5.

If the bumper is still on the underside of the hood then someone leaning over the car while working on the engine might have accidently bent the bracket that holds the switch. If that's the case then all you have to do is gently pull up on the bracket that holds the switch until the switch is high enough to contact the bumper on the hood when the hood is closed.

Last edited by NovaResource; 12-23-2009 at 01:52 PM.