Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

Engine Cradle Rusting out!

Old 08-12-2006, 01:18 PM
Default Engine Cradle Rusting out!

HI,
I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of this happening. My 2000 Sonata is at the dealership now and I just go a phone call telling me Hyundai realizes the cradle is rusted and the car is no longer safe to drive but they won't fix the defective cradle because its now out of warranty! (Rust is only covered on the panels).

I'm sure we're in for a long battle but I am shocked at the amount of rust under my car! Does anyone have any clue as to why this would have happened?
Thanks,
Brronz

Old 08-13-2006, 11:18 AM
Default RE: Engine Cradle Rusting out!

where are you located, and at what dealer is your car ????????????

Old 08-13-2006, 09:56 PM

The car is at Dennis Hyundai in Columbus Ohio.

Old 08-16-2006, 02:07 AM

I wonder if it's an Ohio thing? I'm in Dayton and I took my Sonata to a local garage to have my struts inspected. The tell me a similar story about my left cradle being rusted trough and my right almost as bad. They also comment that the design was wrong since the only drain hole is located in the front of the cradle. Normal driving allows air to force all moisture to the rear of the cradle where all the rust occurs.

I called my local dealer and they said nothing of it being covered under warranty or not. I'm scheduled to take it in on Thursday.

Old 08-16-2006, 10:23 AM

This is a safety issue, and should be covered under warranty. If the repair is not to your satisfaction, phone the HMA 1-800-bitch line.

Old 08-16-2006, 10:51 AM

So far the word has been "sory but its your problem" fro the dealership. Hyundai Consumer affairs told me I could request a Field Tech. look at it. The Dealership said their not called field techs I would need to have a District Service Manager inspect it. So thats where we are. My husbands best friend is an Attn. so he's gonna help walk me thru small claims if we have to go that route. The last time I spoke with the dealerships service manager he asked me if I was the only owner because the car appeared to have water damage! NO ****! this is what the genius came up with!

Old 08-16-2006, 09:50 PM

talk again to HMA, and have them arange a date at your dealer.

Old 08-18-2006, 03:43 PM

I took my Sonata to the dealer yesterday. They checked out the problem and called Hyundai's local person and agreed to replace the part. The technician at the dealer mentioned that they had seen a couple of others with this problem. So contact the Field Rep and have him talk to the Rep for Dayton. I'd also call the HMA line duke provides.

Good Luck!

Old 08-23-2006, 05:11 PM

My 2002 SONATA engine cradle is seriously rusted out on passenger side aft, a hole about the size of a half dollar..... Its in the shop today and Hundai refuses to replace at there cost.... because its out of warranty.... But I'm still trying..... It's a safety issue.... and a recall should have been issed...

Old 08-23-2006, 05:34 PM

File a complaint..... www.nhtsa.dot.gov

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine Cradle Rusting out!