Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

Headlights burning out often on 2006 Sonata

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 06:46 AM
Default Headlights burning out often on 2006 Sonata

Hi folks,

Hoping someone may know a fix for this annoying issue....

We have a 2006 Sonata that eats headlights.

I have replaced the headlights numerous times since we bought the car new in 2005......only in the last couple years have I been keeping track.....seems like the bulbs last maybe 15k miles or so and then burn out. We have almost 79k on the car now.

I have three other vehicles and the headlamps are the originals or have been changed only once....one vehicle has 120k on it (original lamps) and the other has 65k on it.....one headlamp burned out last fall.

Seem to me that every 15k miles is excesive....

Video production is my field, so I am very aware that you dont touch the bulb glass or that will shorten the lamp life drastically...trust me, the bulb glass is not being touched.

I did a search here and didnt seem to find any similar cases so I guess our car is a one- off problem.....

Anyone have any ideas? The dealer has been no help.

Thanks folks!

Old 03-06-2010, 08:55 PM

I have replaced both headlamp bulbs, one foglight bulb, both brake lamp bulbs, and I was just told that another brake lamp bulb was bad again.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:49 PM

Hard to get good light bulbs...

Ever go to store and buy bulb, come home and spin it in the socket, then walk over to light switch, flip the switch and the bulb flash and not work.

Light bulb is a simple short circuit, in a chamber full of gas to create the glow. Never know when that short is going to open.

Vibration don't help matters either.

Old 02-12-2020, 09:41 PM

Same problem with my 2006 Sonata that I have had 2.5 years, and probably replaced 6 bulbs. Got a 2006 Azera 6 months ago, replaced Left low 3 months ago, now replacing the R Low. New Alternator last month. Using Sylvania UltraVision H7.

Considering LED

Old 02-13-2020, 11:03 AM

I noticed many years ago that manufacturers put in longer lasting bulbs than are available after market. My guess is that they want to make sure the new car buyer doesn't come into the dealership with a busted bulb and then says: "while i am here please take care of the following laundry list..."

Be careful about choosing the replacement bulb:there are regular Halogens rated at x hours and then there are extra bright Halogens rated at 1/2 x hours. And these extra brights are 2x as expensive. That's an easy way of quadrupling your headlight expenses and you know what? They will burn out when it's freezing cold and dark for 18 hours a day.

Old 02-13-2020, 11:18 AM

I agree with allegretto.
A lot of manufacturers can sell only top of the production run to OEM s. The others go to aftermarket buyers. There is a lot to that.
Another thing that may be in the works could be excessive charging voltage control that will supply voltages above what the lamps are made to operate.
Wouldn't hurt to confirm if voltage control of charging system is where it should be.
Also, many parts are imported and reboxed and are of less than decent quality.