Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

Help, check engine light stays on, Hyundai can't fix

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 07:34 PM
Default Help, check engine light stays on, Hyundai can't fix

Hi,

I have a 2005 Sonata V6 that I bought new. I've never really had a problem with it (except the battery went dead a few months ago without any warning) until this week.

The Check Engine Light came on and stayed on, so I called Hyundai service. They said perhaps the gas cap was not screwed on tight enough, tighten it and they try disconnecting and reconnecting the battery. I did this and the light went out for about 30 minutes, then it came back on. They said bring the car in.

So I brought it in and they checked it over, said they could find no leak or other problem. They reset the code, took it for a 2 mile test drive, and sent me home. The light came back on within 30 minutes.

I went back the next day, and this time they kept the car the whole day. They still could not find anything wrong, despite numerous tests and calls to Hyundai headquarters. They left the car running for 5 hours and said the light stayed off. They said they saw a code that the fuel was lean, so they put in an additive and suggested I try some premium gas on my next fill-up. I took the car home and the light came back on about 2 hours later.

This is what they wrote on the ticket:

34794 SCANTOOL TEST CODES FOUND PO174 FUEL SYSTEM TOO LEAN B2 PO171FUEL SYS TOO LEAN PERFORMED CHECK SHOP MANUAL CHECK FOR AIR LEAK FUEL LINE PRESSURE FAULTY INJECTOR FAULTY FUEL PUMP FALTY PCM ALL GOOD CLEAR CODE TEST DRIVE VEH FOR SEVEN MILES THREE TIMES WORK ON VEH FOR FIVE HOUR NO ENGINE LIGHT AT THIS TIME VEH RUNS NORMAL

I'm disinclined to bring it back to the same place for a third time, maybe try a different Hyundai place? The car runs fine and I'm tempted just to ignore the light, but I suppose the light would kill the car's value if I ever decide to sell it. Maybe I should sell it now before the warranty expires in January.

Anyone ever have a similar problem? Any thoughts or tips?

Thanks,
bill

Old 08-23-2009, 08:20 PM
Banned

our mechanics sound rather incompetent, or more like they want you to buy a new car.

P0174 - Fuel mixture too lean, bank two.

Possible problem(s):

1. MAF sensor is dirty. Clean MAF with MAF cleaner. Just remove the MAF and spray it down with MAF cleaner. Don't use carb cleaner. Don't use a rag or your finger. Go to the auto parts store for MAF cleaner

2. Intake leak after the MAF. P0174 is "bank two" which means its on the back side someplace.
Get a plastic household spray bottle of water, run the motor. Spray the water all around the intake and observe if the idle speed changes when you spray a certain area. This will help you locate the intake leak if you have one.

Happy hunting!

Old 08-23-2009, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator

I'd go to a different dealer with better mechanics.