Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

How to Change Center Brake Lamp on '07 Sonata?

Old 06-20-2009, 03:44 PM
Default How to Change Center Brake Lamp on '07 Sonata?

I can disconnect the power connection that goes to the lamp socket, but can't determine how to get the lamp socket and bulb out? Anyone done this before?

Old 06-20-2009, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator

HIGH MOUNTED STOP LAMP

1. Disconnect the negative(-) battery terminal.

2. Open the trunk lid and then disconnect the connector of high mounted stop lamp.

3. Remove the package tray.

4. Replace the bulb(A) from the package tray.

5. Installation is the reverse of removal.

Last edited by NovaResource; 08-23-2012 at 07:22 AM.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:00 PM

While that is the official method to change the bulb I think removing the package tray would make the job much more work than it needs to be. I have changed the centre brake light bulb in my 2006 Sonata and used a method I found on another site. It involves removing two screws that hold the brake light housing in place and then removing it from inside the car.

Basically, you need to lie on your back in the trunk to see and remove the two screws (I think the hole in the sheetmetal to access one is covered by a foam pad which needs to be removed). This will allow the unit to be pulled out of the package tray from inside the car.

It's a bit of a pain but worked out in the end. If I remember correctly, a lot of the problem is with the long tab on the bulb holder which creates problems trying to get the housing out of the tray and reinstalled again.

Good luck!

Old 06-22-2009, 07:04 PM
Default Center Brake Light Bulb Change

Originally Posted by rallyman
While that is the official method to change the bulb I think removing the package tray would make the job much more work than it needs to be. I have changed the centre brake light bulb in my 2006 Sonata and used a method I found on another site. It involves removing two screws that hold the brake light housing in place and then removing it from inside the car.

Basically, you need to lie on your back in the trunk to see and remove the two screws (I think the hole in the sheetmetal to access one is covered by a foam pad which needs to be removed). This will allow the unit to be pulled out of the package tray from inside the car.

It's a bit of a pain but worked out in the end. If I remember correctly, a lot of the problem is with the long tab on the bulb holder which creates problems trying to get the housing out of the tray and reinstalled again.

Good luck!

Thanks for the replies!

Old 06-25-2009, 07:30 PM

My center mount in my 2006 Sonata just went out! So, I bought an LED bulb on ebay, never should have to worry about changing it again. For any LED bulbs, type in the bulb model and LED.

Old 06-30-2009, 03:54 PM

Just replaced mine. Could not get the package tray out. SOOOO, I took a flat head screw driver, pryed the center mount brake light assemly from the package try, brutually ripped it out and broke the plastic connectors that lock the socket to the stop lamp assembly. Put in LED bulb, took liquid nails and put it on there to let it dry, made the socket as small as possible breaking off unnecesary plastic piece and sanding it as low I could on the pavement. I didn't have enough clearance with the socket sticking out to guide it back into the hole, so I took a spade bit and drill a hole, slide it in and may have to glue it in, to keep it in place we will see what happens. Bunch of retards that put that thing on there. The LED bulb I put in should hopefully never burn out, and if it does I know how easier it will be to pull out and replace.

Old 06-30-2009, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by itsthebigb19
Just replaced mine. Could not get the package tray out. SOOOO, I took a flat head screw driver, pryed the center mount brake light assemly from the package try, brutually ripped it out and broke the plastic connectors that lock the socket to the stop lamp assembly. Put in LED bulb, took liquid nails and put it on there to let it dry, made the socket as small as possible breaking off unnecesary plastic piece and sanding it as low I could on the pavement. I didn't have enough clearance with the socket sticking out to guide it back into the hole, so I took a spade bit and drill a hole, slide it in and may have to glue it in, to keep it in place we will see what happens. Bunch of retards that put that thing on there. The LED bulb I put in should hopefully never burn out, and if it does I know how easier it will be to pull out and replace.
You're calling the people that put it in there, retards? Talk about being a ham-fisted mechanic.

Old 07-05-2009, 07:31 PM

It's a foolish design. The package tray would not budge after removing screws shown in diagram.

Old 07-06-2009, 03:00 PM

You don't need to remove the package tray. Read my post #3.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by rallyman
You don't need to remove the package tray. Read my post #3.
You do not need to remove rear panel.... you need to remove the lamp module first to remove the panel...

In trunk, laying on back as mentioned, remove the 2 screws (2 styles involved, 1 silver, other is yellow), so put them back where you got them from

Now go inside cabin... lift lamp housing enough to reach in and twist soocket so it will fall out, then finish removing lamp housing..

Remove bulb from socket.. take a pair of side cutters and cut them "wings" off the socket.

Install bulb to socket, re-install socket to lamp housing.... now you can wiggle the complete assembly past the hump of the deck panl and set module into place

Install 2 screws underneath.

Another method is to use a hole saw from under side, then you do not have to fiddle with them 2 tiny screws.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to Change Center Brake Lamp on '07 Sonata?