Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

How to open the cover on the 2005 Sonata alarm system control module

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 08:56 PM
Default How to open the cover on the 2005 Sonata alarm system control module

I just replaced the battery on one of the two remote controls for my 2005 Sonata V6 GLS. In order to re-program it, I have been told, I need to find and open the alarm system control module. Here are my questions:

First, Is the slender black box on the lower half of the fuse panel (under the driver side dash) the control module?

Second, if so, how can I open its cover? The module box seems to be attached onto the fuse panel by four latches (two in front and two in back), and I have tried to pry the latches off of the panel, but I have had no luck so far. Is that because of the lack of room to work with (I am looking at the fuses and the control module through a 4"x4" hole on the dash). If I have to take out the lower dash, how many screws do I have to remove? I see only two screws, and I feel that there are some more screws hidden.

I would really appreciate any help you could give me.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

1. Remove the center facia panel.

Don't disconnect the negative (-) battery terminal.

2. To store new codes :
A. Activate the keyless entry/receiver unit and change the code saving switch of the receiver unit from "OFF" to "SET".
B. The secret codes from the transmitter will be stored into the receiver unit when the door lock button or unlock button is pressed on the transmitter.
C. Save the 2nd transmitter codes in the same manner.

3. Return the code saving switch of the receiver unit from "SET" to "OFF".

4. Install the center facia panel.

------------------------------

However, the above procedure is usually just for programming a new fob into the system. You shouldn't need to to do that for a battery replacement.

Try this first:
1. Get in the car and close the door.
2. Turn the key to the ACC position
3. Push the unlock button on the remote until the blinkers flash.

Last edited by NovaResource; 11-08-2011 at 08:13 AM.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:54 AM
Default Thanks a million!

Dear NovaResource,
You are a godsend. I didn't expect someone to respond so quickly to someone else's request for help. So I waited until today to see if there is any answer to my request, and if there was none, I was going to go to the dealer to get my remote key programmed for $50. And there it was! It was a big, pleasant surprise to see someone providing such a detailed explanation to help others. I just followed your instruction, and it worked!! I didn't even have to take out the facia. Thank you very much!! You are indeed a resource person.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:21 PM
Default Trying to re-program keyless remotes

2005 Sonata. So I found the keyless entry box behind the dash and removed it because I could not see or feel the set/switch. When I took it out I noticed a piece of tape over where the switch is supposed to be, there is no switch. I did find a shock sensor attached to the steering under the dash which is wired to a little green light switch directly below the fuse panel. The green light has a 2-way switch but all it does is make the light flash or stay solid. I just bought the car salvage and spent an unexpected $475 to register it, so my wallet is a bit light to take it to the dealership. Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks