Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

Input Speed Sensor Replacement ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 04:17 PM
Default Input Speed Sensor Replacement ?

Ive run into whats apparently a common problem-one of my speed sensors,the Input,has blown and needs to be replaced.I found the part online and plan on replacing it myself,but Im not sure how to go about.Ive heard other people say theyve done it and its easy but havent gotten any replys from them. Has anyone replaced thier own,and would be willing to give me a lil rundown on it? I know where the sensor is located and plan to go up from underneath,but as far as detaching the busted one and attaching the new one go,Im clueless.Any help is appreciated,thanks

Old 04-04-2008, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Input Speed Sensor Replacement ?

What year Sonata? What engine?

Old 04-04-2008, 08:55 AM

Its a 2001 GLS V6 Auto.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator

DESCRIPTION
This bulletin explains the function of the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) and Right Front Wheel Speed Sensor (RF-WSS) on current Hyundai models and how they relate to Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC). It also helps diagnose conditions related to these sensors.[/align][/align]KEY information: The same DTC, P0500 (Vehicle Speed Sensor Fault), can be set by the VSS or the RF-WSS, depending on the model.

The table on page 6 of this TSB can be used to determine which sensor is pertinent to which model vehicle when working on a DTC for the vehicle speed sensor.

VEHICLE SPEED SENSOR (VSS):
The VSS on current Hyundai vehicles is one of two types:
1. Electrical sensor (either magnetic or Hall-type sensor) mounted directly on the transmission. This sensor is driven by a gear on the transaxles' final drive assembly. All current model vehicles use this type of sensor, except for the Accent.

2. Electrical sensor (reed switch type) mounted to the speedometer head unit. This sensor is driven by magnets mounted on the speedometer shaft, which is driven by the speedometer cable.

The main functions of the VSS are to:
1. Send a signal to the speedometer -- input to the speedometer (except for vehicles equipped with a speedometer cable and reed switch VSS).
2. Send a signal to the ECM/TCM (this signal is typically used by the ECM/TCM for diagnostic purposes).

RIGHT FRONT WHEEL SPEED SENSOR (RF-WSS):
Some Hyundai Vehicles incorporate a sensor on the right front hub. This sensor reads a "tone-wheel" mounted on the right front axle assembly. The sensor and tone-wheel function very similarly to the crankshaft position sensor. The main function of this sensor is to send a signal directly to the ECM.

When driving over a very rough road, the engine will experience a sharply varying load, transferred from the wheels to the crankshaft, which may incorrectly appear to be an engine misfire to the ECM misfire diagnostic logic (based on the analysis of the crankshaft position sensor signal). The RF-WSS is used to minimize inaccurate diagnoses that an engine misfire has occurred.

The RF-WSS signal is used to determine if the vehicle is going over a rough road. If the ECM determines that the vehicle is going over a rough road, based on the "roughness" of the signal from the RF-WSS, the misfire diagnostics will be suspended until the driving conditions have changed.

VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH anti-lock brakes (ABS) or ABS/Traction control System (TCS) WHICH USE the RF-WSS to DETERMINE ROUGH ROAD CONDITION:
On vehicles equipped with ABS/(TCS), the RF-WSS sends a signal to the ABS Module (computer). If the vehicle uses the RF-WSS to determine rough road condition (such as the 2001 Elantra), the ABS Module sends a signal to the ECM for use in determining the rough road condition.

The RF-WSS and the "tone-wheel" on the right front axle are the same components on ABS and Non-ABS equipped vehicles.

A malfunction of the RF-WSS will result in:
1. The ABS light being turned ON.
2. Diagnostic Trouble Code C1203 ("RF Wheel Sensor Open or Short") stored in the ABS Module.

APPLICATION:
All current Hyundai vehicles are equipped with a VSS, however, not all are equipped with a RF-WSS. Vehicles which are not equippe

Last edited by NovaResource; 08-09-2012 at 07:51 AM.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:21 PM

Thanks,I couldnt find any info on the hma site before,this helps a bit
any reason why something that seems to focus on the speedometer would be the culprit behind bad shifting? That just seems odd to me

Old 04-04-2008, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

Well, the trans computer uses input from the speed sensor on when to shift. If the sensor is bad both the speedo will be off and the trans computer will not have an accurate indicator of the vehicle speed.

Old 04-04-2008, 02:33 PM

Thanks tons-I was worried after hearing the description from others that this might not be my problem,but this explains it perfectly.

Old 08-30-2020, 05:40 PM
Default Speed sencer

Where is the speed sencer

Old 08-30-2020, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Bcgiceman
Where is the speed sensor
The speed sensor is in the transmission and the ABS sensor in the right front wheel
ECU uses both signals to correlate if things are working right.

Old 01-16-2021, 11:39 AM
Default 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe speed sensor replacement

For the 2013 Hyundai an SST installer is required to install the speed sensor and align it. Cannot locate SST installer any suggestions?