Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

Output speed sensor code p0720

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 12:01 AM
Default Output speed sensor code p0720

I HAD THE CAR SCANNED AT AUTO ZONE AND IT CAME UP WITH CODE P0720 THE OUT PUT SPEED SENSOR , IS THIS AN EXPESIVE PART ? AND WHERE IS LOCATED ? I CANT AFFORD AN EXPESIVE REPAIR RIGHT NOW IS THIS SOME THING I CAN HANDLE ON MY OWN . AND IF SO ANY TIPS ON INSTALLATION ?

Old 03-31-2008, 06:51 AM
Default RE: OUTPUT SPEED SENSOR CODE P0720

Year, model and engine of the car in question?

Old 03-31-2008, 07:48 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: OUTPUT SPEED SENSOR CODE P0720

According to his only other post he has a 2001 Sonata but didn't say what engine and trans he has.

DTC - P0720 (OUTPUT SHAFT SPEED SENSOR SYSTEM)

Code No. P0720 Output shaft speed sensor system[/align]

If the output from the output shaft speed sensor is continuously 50% lower than the vehicle speed for 1 second or more while driving in 3rd or 4th gear at a speed of 30 km/h or more, it is judged to be an open circuit or short-circuit in the output shaft speed sensor and diagnostic trouble code No. P0720 is output. If diagnostic trouble code No. P0720 is output four times, the transmission is locked into 3rd gear or 2rid gear as a fail-safe measure.[/align][/align]

Probable cause[/align]

a. Malfunction of the output shaft speed sensor[/align][/align]
b. Malfunction of the transfer drive gear or driven gear[/align][/align]
c. Malfunction of connector[/align][/align]
d. Malfunction of the TCM[/align][/align][/align][/align][/align]VEHICLE SPEED SENSOR CHECK[/align][/align]

1. Remove the vehicle speed sensor and connect a 3-10 KΩ resistance as shown in the illustration.[/align]
2. Turn the shaft of the vehicle speed sensor and check that there is voltage between terminals 1-2 (1 turn=4 pulses).[/align][/align][/align][/align]

Old 03-02-2021, 04:46 PM
Default Is p0720 code aka REVOLUTION SENSOR ?

I have a 2005 Hyndai santa fe 3.5 lt 5 speed automatic transmission with manual overide that is in LIMP MODE and throwing a p0720 code and my question is after researching the possible reasons like RODENTS chewing on my wiring which is clearly my first suspect as i am finding rodent droppings everywhere even after spraying it down good with peppermint oil being mindful not to spray obvious connections but Its not helping . Ugh so I have seen videos that apply to my issue but for a NISSAN with with same p0720 code .

this is why i am being careful to make sure im buying the right parr because i get them online and its a pain having to send parts back and pay all that shipping. So far I have a 100% success rate and making sure i keep it that way with this issue

Part on right with green is a SPEED sensor at $25 bucks while REVOLUTION SENSOR is on left at a cost of $150.00 huge difference so clarification is my goal here also this particular image is ftom a you tibe video for a NISSAN not a 2005 hyundai santa fe 3.5 awd with 5 speed auto trans and manual overdrive that is in limp mode after replaced my timing belt water pump alternator camshaft sensor rack n pinion axle that leaked power steering fluid on everything and now LIMP MODE ugh I wont shift out of 2nd or skips 2nd and stays in 3rd after it feels like being rear ended I did check tranny fliud its good and it shifted perfect until the water pump timing belt went out and sat with rodents moving in and i dont want to buy spped sensors when i need a REVOLUTION SENSOR
that search shows a confusing revolution for a tractor with a wired plug costs around 80 bucks and but when i search for that part name for my car I get directed to INPUT OUTPUT SPEED SENSOR SETS and cant find clarification to know if they are the same part as what im seeing online in sets of 2 mostly without plug and wire connectors but some do include them and the plug and wire harness to the sensors are available seperatly Your HELP is deeply appreciated if possible . I am hoping to avoid paying a shop and have a very good mechanic I try hard to make his help easier on him so my job is making sure i purchase correct parts before I make him put his life on hold to help fix it since i cant afford much and the least I can do is not waste his precious time when he has a full time job and a wife 5 kids under 10 .Ihe is worth his weight in GOLD so hoping you can help me before i purchase the wrong parts and make his job harder .thank you for your help

Last edited by Jenai Herod; 03-02-2021 at 05:05 PM.
Old 03-05-2021, 11:32 AM

In Hyundai terminology there is no 'revolution sensor'. All 3 sensors (IN/OUT/VSS) count revolutions ...

The correct name is mentioned above and it is not the vehicle speed sensor (the green one).
Go buy the input and output shaft sensors set (usually referred to P0715 and P0720 errors) and install (1 bolt for each) and there should be peace in your A/T for another 100k miles.

Old 04-23-2021, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by e3tom
In Hyundai terminology there is no 'revolution sensor'. All 3 sensors (IN/OUT/VSS) count revolutions ...

The correct name is mentioned above and it is not the vehicle speed sensor (the green one).
Go buy the input and output shaft sensors set (usually referred to P0715 and P0720 errors) and install (1 bolt for each) and there should be peace in your A/T for another 100k miles.
i could KISS YOU Thank you. XOXO