Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

P0300, p0301, p0303, p0305

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 11:48 PM
Default P0300, p0301, p0303, p0305

Hello everyone,
I have Sonata 2002 V6 with 170K km on it. The car was running great when all of the sudden I start to feel some rough idle on trafic lights.
Soon after that I got the codes P0300, P0301, P0303, and P0305.
I took the car to a mechanic who told me that the wires do not look good and probably the sparks need to be replaced.
I agreed and got them replaced (not cheap work).
Initially the car was running OK but soon after that (less than 20 km) it start to be rough on idle again. I called the man and since there were no codes displayed at that point I keep driving.
The next day the car throw the same codes and I drove to the mechanic again. He checked the codes himself and pronounced that it is most likely the coils.
As the store did not have the coils on stock we postponed their replacement for later time and I drove home.
On the way home the car start behave even worst and be very hard for picking speed after stopping at intersection. I should've stop and check right a way but I kept going until at one of the intersection my engine died and when I started the car the engine light was flashing. I managed to pick up some speed and barely passed few more intersections until I give up and pull the car aside (it was very rough driving for a couple of km).
Before calling a truck I decided to look under the hood just in case. I was shocked to find out that 3 of the cables were literally disconected from the coils. If I remember correct they were 1, 3 and 5.
I connected them I the car immidiattely stared and the flasshing engine light was gone.
I drove home and took another look at the cables when the engine was cool.
What I found out had pissed me off and I just would never go again to that "mechanic".
In all three cables at the coil side the metal part was merely at the beginning of the rubber not even going into the coil pack. How the hell the car was getting a spark from this three cables is beyond me.
I corrected the instalation (one by one) getting cables out of their harnesses in order to have enough lenght to secure the metal part into the coil.
Next day the car runs great except some rough idle on intersection.
On the next day, when I start the engine the engine light come on. Again the same codes...
I reset the codes and drove to work (18 km) and back from work without any problems (there is still somewhat rough idle but the performance is great).
I have replaced the air filter (just in case) and there was some improvement (or maybe not). The next day I got the same story.
As I start the engine and start driving the engine light come on. The codes - the same.
I reset them and got to work and back with no codes. The next morning - same story.
Now I am confused what to do next.
Please, advise what to check and what could cause such a bisare behaviour. The car runs OK and is good at gas consumption (not worst than before).
Thanks you very much in advance.