Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

Picking up a Sonata '97 SOHC on Monday - what should I look out for?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 02:13 PM
Default Picking up a Sonata '97 SOHC on Monday - what should I look out for?

From the description of the owner I know that the fuel pump is dead (another thread). But he says that's about it. It's been driven around 100 K miles, it runs on LPG and gas (when it gets gas, that is...), and the engine compartment looks very clean and nice. So does the paint job from the pictures I have been sent, and the owner says there's no rust on any important constructions. The local Hyundai people said that on this model there's nothing really special to look out for. The next model (88 and up) has a problem with rust on the frame that holds up the engine, but not this model. But maybe there is?

I will crawl under the car and look for rust, and I will check the shocks for leakage. Also I will of course test drive it and se if I hear any funky noises or feel any special problems. Listen to the engine to find out if there are any bad bearings, which bit me in the but on my previous attempt at getting a nice car for my wife. The traditional kickin' of the tires (or rather shaking them quite violently) to check the weel bearings will be done as well. Have I forgotten anything important? I really, really, really need to have a problem free car since my last two buys (the Oldsmobile Starfire '78 I have now, waiting for a new engine because of those bearings... and a Mazda Miata that had a few more problems than expected) have given me grief and a rather mad mrs. Mastiff! And believe me, you don't want to be on the receiving end for a mad mrs. Mastiff!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by NovaResource; 06-25-2009 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Fixed title
Old 06-25-2009, 07:33 PM

Not quite sure on the quality on the older Hyundai's, don't forget the timing belt with the mileage and age of the car too! It's hard to find a good reliable, low priced car. Look at Geo Prism and Corollas too. I like Hyundai, but again not sure on the older models, I have an '06. Good luck. I ended up splurging and buying a newer used Sonata with low miles, I take care of it and hope it will bring me many trouble free miles.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:37 AM

Thanks! This is a second car, and it's about all we can afford. I did actually think about the timing belt, I need to find out when it was last changed. I can probably do that with the owner history.