Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

power Steering Fluid Leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 12:07 PM
Default power Steering Fluid Leak

Was under the engine and looks like I have a PS fluid leak where it goes to the rack. It's hard to be sure of the precise origin of the leak. Fluid levels are acceptable, and no faults noted when driving. Anybody come across this before? [/align]

Old 01-15-2008, 01:08 PM
Default RE: power Steering Fluid Leak

The leak is coming from one of three sources: 1) a leaking seal on the power steering pump, 2) a leaking seal on the steering rack itself or 3) hopefully a leaking hose (which is the cheapest to repair). With the engine off, try to wipe away the excess fluid that has dripped down the lines to the rack. Have someone start the car (in park or neutral with the emrgency brake on), and while it is idling with you watching the lines, have them slowly turn the steering wheel back and forth. This will apply more pressure to the lines. If the leak is in the high pressure line leading to the rack, the spray will be most obvious. Since you imply fluid loss has been relatively slow, I don't think the high pressure line is the source. If the leak is in the low pressure line returning fluid from the rack to the pump, you should still see an obvious flow or drip of fluid. I suspect the leak is in the low pressure line. If neither line is leaking, repeat the process while observing the bottom of the pump or the rack (particularly both ends and where the steering shaft connects to the rack). If you place a large piece of cardboard under the car where the rack resides, signs of the leak will be obvious. Rack seal leaks also can be quite slow. If you have the tools and the inclination, the hoses can be replaced by yourself. The pump and/or a rack leak usually mean replacement of those components with new or rebuilt parts. Remember to keep the fluid level up in the pump until this problem is fixed.

Oh yes, I also would advise you to only use the power steering fluid prescribe in the owners manual. I presently have one car (yes, the dreaded Nissan Maxima), that developed a rack leak after someone poured Honda PSF into the power steering system designed for Dextron II/III ATF. The mechanic said the Honda PSF corroded the seals in the rack. Since then, I've even avoided using the "universal" PSF. My experience, it may/may not apply to your situation.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:38 PM
Default RE: power Steering Fluid Leak

99 percent of the time p/s leaks on sonatas are from metal return line on chasis.