Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

What's a reasonable price for the 30K?

Old 12-04-2007, 06:04 AM
Default What's a reasonable price for the 30K?

My dealer wants $350. Do you guys think that's ok? I also have the noise when I start up the car.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: What's a reasonable price for the 30K?

"the noise"? What noise? There is normally a little clatter on Hyundais since they have hydraulic lifters (until the pressure builds up). It can also be a timing belt tensioner (which would be a warranty item).

$350 is in the ballpark; my dealer was about the same. But... Take your owners manual into the service area with you and compare it to the list of services the dealer includes with your 30k service. My dealer had things like "fuel injector cleaning" and "emissions system service" which are NOT in the service schedule in the manual. The key things you need at 30k are a cooling system flush and fill, and (assuming severe driving conditions of some sort) a transmission fluid flush and fill. The rest of the stuff is normal oil change, inspections, air filter, that kind of stuff. Since I had already changed my air filter when I went in for my 30k service, and I cut out all the stuff that is *not* in the manual, I got away for about $200. If you can change your own air filter, I say do it and just have them do an oil change, AT flush and coolant flush.

The only other thing you may want to consider (I haven't done this yet myself and am coming up to 40k miles) is spark plugs and wires.

Old 12-07-2007, 05:10 PM
Default RE: What's a reasonable price for the 30K?

$350 sounds a little steep to me, make sure they aren't loading you with additional service that isin't required. I've known dealers to have multiple "service" levels... I worked at a VW store in the past (i know blasphemy i'm sorry!) and they quoted everyone a maximum level.
For example: $170 for a "deluxe" synthetic oil change.. but if you were persistent, it was possible to get one for around $70. Unfortunatly, most dealerships make the majority of their money on the service end.

Remember, it's possible to negotiate with service on a lot of things they do.