Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

Spark plugs replacement on my Sonata V6 3.3L

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 02:49 PM
Default Spark plugs replacement on my Sonata V6 3.3L

Hey Folks,

I replaced the spark plugs on my Sonata V6 3.3l successfully this past weekend. The whole process took me 3 hours. Mostly because I didn't have a manual on the Sonata except for what I found on the Tiburon on this forum. The picture helped but the manifold intake wasn't as clean as the pictures shown on the Tiburon but the bolts and nuts are at the same place. There was quite a few brackets that had to be removed from the side and top of the manifold before you can start on the bolts and the nuts holding the intake manifold. I wish I would have had time to take pictures but I needed the car in the afternoon so I had no time to lose.
There's not much to it as long as you are a little mechanically incline and take your time. I saved myself $750 .......Yea, that's what the dealer wanted to charge to do the job.

You need 10, 12 and 14mm sockets, as well as pliers to remove the hold down for the hoses from the booster brake vaccuum and another hose.
Also the air breather need to be removed.
I got Iridium Spark plugs from the local NAPA dealer but I had to get the tank surge gasket from the dealer (ridiculous price on the gaskets).

I noticed that a black hose under the air breather connection was rubbing against a connectors and was about to go through. Not sure what that hose is doing, I need to go back and take a look. I'm sure it's a problem for all V6 Sonata.

Last edited by Floodlight; 06-02-2009 at 03:19 PM.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:31 PM
Default Black hose is the fuel line

This is for all of you that have a Sonata 06 V6. Check that black hose which is fuel line for nicks and rubs. The line rubs against the connector right under the air intake. If I would have left it the way it was, it would have puncture. I ties it pulled it away using black tie wraps to the bundle of wire below the air filter.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Floodlight
Hey Folks,

I replaced the spark plugs on my Sonata V6 3.3l successfully this past weekend. The whole process took me 3 hours. Mostly because I didn't have a manual on the Sonata except for what I found on the Tiburon on this forum.
The Tiburon doesn't have the 3.3L Lambda engine. The Tiburon has the 2.7L Delta engine. That procedure should only be good for 2005 and older Sonatas with the 2.7L Delta engine. The 3.3L Lambda engine used in the 2006-up Sonata is a totally different engine.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:28 AM

Thanks NovaResource for the information. I certainly didn't mean to imply that the engine was the same. All I meant to say was that the bolts and nuts holding the Intake manifold are located at the same place as the 2.7L Delta engine on the Tiburon.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

That's OK. I just want to make sure anyone else reading this knew the 2 engines were different and the procedure is not identical between the 2. Obviously, they are close enough that you were able to do the job.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:37 AM

Did you have at least 100,000 miles (160,000 km) on your car? The factory plugs are Iridium and don't have to be replaced until then. $750 is way too high for the dealer quote too. Avoid that place, that is a rip off even in Canadian dollars.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:15 AM

No, I had 101,000km. the dealer told me that 100, 000km is the big tune-up and one of the work to do is to replace the plugs.
Are the Iridium spark plugs really good for 160, 000km? if tha's the case then I replaced the plugs way too soon.

Old 06-25-2009, 07:41 PM

The Hyundai dealer says 75k is time for spark plug replacement. My fuel mileage is down and asked, they said this was probably the cause. They quoted $369.00 do to the job.

That defect with the hose rubbing, perhaps you should report it to the NHTSA, that sounds dangerous, car stalling, car fire, etc.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:27 PM
Banned

Normal maintainence requirement for iridium OEM plugs is 160K kms. Read your owners manual.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:01 PM

Why is my fuel mileage down? Another person at 90k miles reported a rough idle. What to believe?

Quick Reply: Spark plugs replacement on my Sonata V6 3.3L