Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

System Too Lean At Idle P2187

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 05:15 AM

Please to confirm part number intake manifold gasket. I will like to look for it and change it. I have the same code on Accent 2006 94000 miles as second owner. Thanks

Old 07-10-2011, 07:28 PM

The part number for the 2006 Sonata 2.4L engine is FelPro MS97116. I just finished changing mine and my P2187 code and rough idle problem is finally solved. I replaced both O2 sensors first - to no avail. My gasket was blown (imploded) right next to intake port #1. This adjacent bolt is tricky to get torqued correctly because it can be difficult to get a torque wrench on it. I used a ratchet with a short extension and just went by the "feel".

If you are going to attempt this job yourself, I advise going to the hmaservice website and looking at the proceedure for removing the intake manifold. They make it sould a little simpler than it actually is. You have to remove the radiator fan (easy) in order to be able to get to the bolts on the hidden bracket that hold the manifold in. There are several wiring plugs, plus a few coolant hoses, vaccum hoses, PVC hose, etc that also have to be removed.
You will need a 10" 3/8 drive ratchet extension to get the 12mm bolts loose that hold the manifold on. Place a few layers of trash bag plastic over the front of the socket (held in place with small rubber band) to keep the bolts/nuts in the socket after initially breaking them loose - else they will fall and you may not be able to recover them.

Your local autoparts store should be able to get you the correct gasket for your 06 Accent. Again, I strongly advise going to hmaservice and looking over the proceedure before attempting the job yourself.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by vargasgw
Please to confirm part number intake manifold gasket. I will like to look for it and change it. I have the same code on Accent 2006 94000 miles as second owner. Thanks
The intake gasket for the 2.4L THETA is not the same as your Accent.

The 2.4 intake gasket is easy.. I like doing them, easy money.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:25 PM
Default P2187, System too lean at idle Bank I

Hi,

I got check engine light today and took it to Autozone. They checked it and it showed P2187. I have 2006 Hyundai Sonata and have 94000 Miles on it.

Reading the thread I would assume this is still covered under 10 yr/100000 mile warrenty. But is there any catch. The car runs fine and doesn't look like there is any vacuum leak or like that.

Any advice??

Thanks..

Old 12-08-2011, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

If you are the original owner then it should still be covered.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:17 PM

My dealer told me to pay $119 for this diagnosis. I had 2006 Sonata GL - I4 model. I went to Auto Parts and scanned the code and got the same P2187 error. Today is 12/21/2011 so 5 year warranty expired but shouldn't my 10 year powertrain warranty cover this type of issue? I don't understand why dealer charge of doing diagnosis on my car.

Old 12-26-2011, 02:42 PM
Default Same problem but not under the warranty?

Hi all, I got the same engine error. I went to my dealer first and they asked me to pay $119 for just engine check-up. I said that I am the original owner but they said that 5yr warranty has expired so I needed to pay in addition to whatever costs it will be afterwards. I bought 2006 SonataGL in April 2006 and now December 2011. What should I do?

Old 12-27-2011, 08:22 AM

Contact Hyundai directly and explain the problem to see what they say. It won't hurt to continue to drive the car this way - it just decreases your fuel economy a little (and makes it idle rough).

If Hyundai says the repair can't be preformed under warranty, then I would seek out a trustworthy independent mechanic to replace the manifold gasket.
The diagnostic fees demanded by the dealer service department are very common. They have huge overhead compared to a small private shop and they have to make up the difference somewhere. Out-of-warranty labor charges are usually higher at the dealership, although in some cases they can find the problem faster with their diagnostic equipment. It's a trade off.
In your case - you know exactly what the problem is and what needs to be done.

Armed with the necessary knowledge and the right tools, replacing this gasket yourself is quite doable.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:22 PM

I have a 2009 Hyundai Sante Fe 3.3.....and I have a P2187 and P2189. I bought it last May, and it has 57,000 miles on it. I believe the used warranty is 3 yrs, and 60,000 miles...does that sound familiar? If so, I've had it less than a year and less that 60 K, so is this the sort of thing that is subject to warranty? I actually bought it at a Dodge Dealership, but I assume I should be able to take it to a Hyundai dealership. Is the best advice to get it to a dealer, make sure it's covered and go from there?

Old 03-27-2012, 07:21 AM
Super Moderator

Used warranty is 5 years 60,000 miles. Take it to a dealership to be fixed for free.

Quick Reply: System Too Lean At Idle P2187