Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

Timing belt and counter shaft belt question

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 07:01 PM
Default Timing belt and counter shaft belt question

I have a 2000 Hyundai Sonota, 4 cyl. I had a problem with it recently and had to have it towed. I had it scanned and it said there was a problem with the crank position sensor. The timing belt and sensor were replaced about 6 months ago but apparently the balance shaft belt wasnt. Whern I took it apart to change the sensor I noticed the balance shaft belt had snapped. I was wondering if this would cause the reading with the crank position sensor and also if there is any chance of internal engine damage from the belt snapping. I know when the timing belt goes it does damage but I have never seen a 2 belt setup before. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:38 AM
Banned

I tried to find exactly what the countershaft belt actually drives, but I couldn't find the info. Maybe Ken or Nova can find it for you.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator

It turns a counter-balance shaft that helps minimize the normal vibrations of a inline 4-cyl engine. I don't believe it would cause any damage other than parts of the belt getting caught in the timing belt. It would just cause the engine to vibrate more.

Last edited by NovaResource; 06-01-2009 at 12:41 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:54 AM
Banned

That's what I figured, but didn't want to give an answer not knowing.

So the guess it that your crank sensor malfunction is unrelated to the balance shaft belt. Replace the crank sensor and you should be ok.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by jsinton
That's what I figured, but didn't want to give an answer not knowing.

So the guess it that your crank sensor malfunction is unrelated to the balance shaft belt. Replace the crank sensor and you should be ok.
The sensor is mounted under the same cover as the timing belts. Failure of the counter balance shaft belt could theoretically take out the sensor with it.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:47 PM

Ok so heres where I'm at with this. When it broke down I had it towed. Put the snap on scanner on it and it said no crank poaition signal. Went and bought a new sensor and when I took it apart to change it I noticed the balance shaft belt was broke. Ok so I changed the belt reinstalled the timing belt and crank pulley figuring I'd try it before I opened the new $200 crank sensor, still no go. I next installed the new sensor still leaving the timing cover off and tried to turn ity over once more. Still having the same problem so I again put the snap on scan tool on it and reset the codes. Same thing it reads code P0335, no crank signal. I pulled one of the coils to check for spark, nothing. Has anyone else ever had a similar poblem or have any idea to point me in the right direction on this one. I'm not sure if the sensor reads right to the computer or if there may be a module it goes to first that may be bad. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:51 PM
Banned

Some other things might cause this code:

* a wire or connector in the circuit could be grounded/shorted/broken
* the camshaft position sensor may have failed
* the PCM may have failed
* there exists an open circuit
* the CAMSHAFT position sensor may have failed

Possible solutions:

* Visually inspect all the wiring and connectors in the circuit
* Check for continuity in the circuit wiring
* Check the operation (voltage) of the camshaft position sensor
* Replace the camshaft position sensor as required
* Check the crankshaft position circuit as well
* Replace circuit wiring and/or connectors as required
* Diagnose/replace the PCM as required

Last edited by jsinton; 06-09-2009 at 07:50 AM.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:53 PM

Thanks I'll give it a try, wish me luck lol.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:25 PM

Ok here's where Im at now. I checked the harness where the sensor plugs in and on 1 I have 5.0v on the other 2 I have positive and negative. When I first plug the haRNESS IN WITH THE KEY ON IT TURNS SOMETHING ON, iM NOT SURE WHAT EXACTLY BUT i CAN HEAR IT. wITH THAT BEING SAID, IS THE COMPUTER LOCATED IN THE CAr under the dash behind the console? Also As I said earlier I have no spark when I turn it over but on inspection I noticed that when I plug the sensor in with the key on along twith the noise I refer to it also sparks. This doesnt seem normal as it should only spark when I try to turn it over, am I right. Im lost I could really use some input if anyone has any info I'd appreciate it, thanks.

Old 06-11-2009, 05:24 PM

Ok quick question, i was wondering if a computer from an older model sonota, a '97 I think, with the same size engine would fit my 2000 sonote? Id like to know before I pull all the dash apart to try it. Does anyone know?

Quick Reply: Timing belt and counter shaft belt question