Hyundai Tiburon This coupe has been the sporty model from Hyundai for three generations.

'98 Tiburon transmission issues

Old 06-06-2017, 08:22 PM
Default '98 Tiburon transmission issues

A friend of mine owns a 1998 Tiburon automatic and the other day he started having issues when he tried to accelerate. It would rev up but not go anywhere like it was in neutral then eventually pop into gear and get going. He says it's been happening randomly while driving. He brought it to me to see if I could help and we took it for a drive but it drove just fine the whole time.
I pulled the CEL codes and got p0747 (Transmission fluid pressure (TFP) solenoid – stuck on, Wiring), p0743 (Torque converter clutch (TCC) solenoid – electrical Wiring) and p0343 (Camshaft position (CMP) sensor A, bank 1 – high input). I cleared the codes and the CEL stayed off while driving but all 3 came back the next time he started the car. I tried this a few more times and about 3/5 of the time all 3 codes come back when you start the car.
The transmission fluid is full and not dirty or burnt.
I'm hoping to find something cheap like a wiring issue but I don't know where to start looking. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Old 06-21-2017, 01:22 AM

Update: The Plot Thickens
After a couple weeks of driving around with no issues other than the cel being on, my friend suddenly calls me up and says the Tibby's acting up again. I head over to his place, he fires it up and it starts idling around 3,000 rpm and when you put it in park and let off the brake, it lurches like it's still in gear then drops into neutral. I plug in my code reader and it gives me "no codes" but I hit 'erase' anyway and start it up again and the thing runs and drives like nothing's wrong. I took it for a spin but everything seemed fine. I checked the codes again and with the engine running it gave me the same 3 codes as before but with the engine off, ignition on (how you're supposed to check codes) it came up "no codes". I am completely stumped, anyone have any ideas?