Hyundai Tiburon This coupe has been the sporty model from Hyundai for three generations.

'03 Turn signal problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 04:55 PM
Default '03 Turn signal problem

New here and hoping someone can help. My left turn signal (and ONLY the left) is stuck in the on position. It was sticking intermittently for a few days, and then stuck on for good yesterday. I have unplugged the front and rear lamps so as not to run the battery down.

I've taken the turn signal/headlight control stalk off the steering column, took it apart, inspsected. All is fine. Also, when I disconnected power to the stalk, the left signal indicator on the dash remained ON.

Can anybody tell me what else is in the system that I can check out, and how to get to it?

Any help is much appreciated.

Brian

Old 11-20-2007, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: '03 Turn signal problem

That's acommon problem for Tiburons. It's not the stalk, it's the BCM (Body Control Module). The BCM controls a bunch of different things including the turn signals. The problem is a relaythat has gone bad. Unfortunately, the relay is not removable. It must be unsoldered to be removed and a new on must be re-soldered back on.

If the car is under warranty, take it to the dealership and have the whole BCM replaced. If it's not under warranty, the BCMis a $500+ part to replace new. You can either try to get a used BCM from a junkyard or you can try to replace the bad relay one your BCM if you are good at soldering on an electronic circuit board.

Old 11-20-2007, 07:42 AM

Thanks, NovaResource. That's the kind of info I needed.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

I hope yours is under warranty but if it's not, here's how you can replace the relay (pics taken from a DIY on NewTiburon.com):

PDF Downloadable Version

This diy is for replacing the turnsignal relay

I am not responsible for any problems you may have or encounter while performing this diy. It has been tested by a fellow NT.com member and they said it was easy to follow. Set aside a couple of hours for this DIY.

Helpful links:
Desoldering: http://www.geocities.com/mistertippy.../desolder.html
Replacement relay: http://www.mouser.com/search/Refine....&N=1323038

DISCONNECT BATTERY BEFORE PERFORIMING DIY

The replacement relay is NEC EP2-3N1ST
You will also need a 10mm socket ratchet and screw driver

Follow these pics ...

Reinstall BCM in reverse order of removal

DIY courtesy of ozkrow

Old 08-09-2008, 11:36 AM
Bob

I have gone thru the steps given everything went fine, however on the laststep there is no relay unit on my circuit board, the only relays are the ones shown in step 5, the blue ones on the back of the black pannel.I know I must be missing something obvious, any suggestions,
Bob
Myfault finally finally was able to remove the relays circuit board seperated.
Thank you
Bob

Old 02-22-2009, 04:01 PM

Worked well for me! Saved lots o $s took a few hours one evening.
Thanks for the tip.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator

Great job!

Glad to help.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:59 PM

NovaResource, How were you able to trace the problem to relay 2? Did you have a BCM circut drawing or some manual that told where to go? I did buy 3 of the offending relays since there are 3 on the board, but still only had $21 and change including shipping. I have relays 2 left.......
While trying to correct the turn signal problem at the local pro auto electrical shop the driver's side window refused to run up so that's my next challange, they recommended the BCM replacement for that too. I haven't told that shop I corrected the other problem with your cyber help yet, I don't want to appear big headed.
4bbl

Old 09-11-2009, 08:56 AM
Thumbs up Thank you!!!!!!!!!

I want to thank you for your help!!! We had the same problem with our 2003 I took it to the dealer and yes they wanted to charge me $1100. I followed your instructions above and today I am driving my 2003 with signal lights!!!! It saved me all that money. Thanks again!