99 Tiburon airbag deployed & now it won't start. - Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums

Old 06-02-2016, 08:41 AM

Default 99 Tiburon airbag deployed & now it won't start.

I recently got into a minor fender bender, I hit the back of a truck going maybe 5mph in stop and go construction traffic due to brake issues. However the only damage that was caused was some minor cosmetic damage to the hood and bumper. Car ran fine for weeks. My husband was driving one day and all of a sudden the driver side airbag deployed while he was driving about 40mph. He says he doesn't remember hitting anything like a pothole, etc. He wasn't seriously injured just a good sized burn to the forearm where he blocked the airbag from hitting his face. Ever since however the car will no longer start. It turns over just fine but nothing. My husband has done some mechanic work in the past and has used videos to fix other thing on our Tahoe, so we would like to avoid the garage if possible. We have looked for a Manuel to this vehicle but with no luck. Even the dealer can't help us. We have read online that it may be some sort of safety feature, such as a fusable linkage. Is this correct? If so where is it located and how do we fix it? Any help is greatly appreciated. It is a 99 Tiburon, 5 speed, 4 cyl., 2.0 liter. Please help.

Last edited by TawniS; 06-02-2016 at 08:45 AM.
Old 07-03-2016, 01:01 AM

I believe there is a sensor in the grille area that needs to be replaced once the airbag goes off. I don't believe it effects the vehicle from starting though. did the vehicle run after the first one went off?
John
Old 07-03-2016, 05:44 PM

Once the air bags are deployed, the system is suppose to stop the fuel pump in case it could be a cause of danger (fire/explosion).
I don't remember where the manufacturers put them.
Some put them in the passenger cabin near the Hvac fan motor
Others put them in the engine bay.

Sorry, wish I could help.