Hyundai Tiburon This coupe has been the sporty model from Hyundai for three generations.

Clutch Release Cylinder Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 08:17 AM
Default Clutch Release Cylinder Problems

Hello i'm new to this site, in hopes to find answers to my problem.
I recently swapped the engine and clutch on my 97 tiburon everything was fine so far until i tried to put it in gear. when the car is turned off i can put it in any gear i want but when the car is running it will not shift into any gear, so i checked and found out that the clutch release cylinder is not retracting, my guess maybe i put the parts in the wrong way? can someone show me a picture of their clutch release cylinder in that area so i check if i put the pieces together the wrong way.

Thanks,

Old 01-07-2008, 08:20 AM
Default RE: Clutch Release Cylinder Problems

you could be experiencing a hydraulic problem. if you press on the clutch pedal and there is no movement in the clutch fork mostly likey your clutch master cylinder or slave cylinder failed. i would recommend replacing both if that's what you're experiencing.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:41 AM

thanks for the reply

when i press the clutch pedal the clutch release cylinder will move forward but it does not go back when i release the clutch pedal, do you think i still have to replace the clutch release cylinder? i do not see any leaks on the cylinder.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:19 AM

check the hydralics first but if it still does it, it my be that you clutch fork could be sticking. i have an 01 and had similar problem, it would go into gear, but it wasn't fully engaged because the fork was stuck half way. and if thats the case, antiseize the **** out of it.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:38 PM

Did you bleed all of the air out of the line between the master and slave cylinders when you finished the install? Hydraulic clutch systems are like brakes, if the line has air bubbles in it, the slave will not respond to the master when you depress and release the clutch petal.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:15 PM

well if you press on the pedal and you see the slave cylinder moving the fork and it doesn't return then the release bearing on the fork probably slip off. when you press on the pedal it suppose to push on the pressure plate, then when you take your foot off the pressure plate should let the fork with the bearing return. that's why sometimes some clutch pedal is tougher than others depending on the type of pressure plate is in the car. come to think about it that's why the car is not going into gear when it's on, the pressure plate cannot separate the clutch disc from the engine so the car can go into gear.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:56 AM

Ifound out what the problem was and its not the clutch release cylinder, the problem is in the clutch or the bering i did not torque pound the clutch and there have to be someone wrong with the position of the bearing, becauseits stuck and does not move atall,i have to take take everything apart again, does anyone know the right way to install the clutch and the bering? is there a website where this can explained in details?

Thanks

Old 01-16-2008, 07:41 PM

Goto: http://www.hmaservice.com/ (use Internet Explorer, the site doesn't work well with other browsers)

You'll have to register, but once you have and logged in, select the the "Shop" option under the "Service Information" tab. Pick your model, year and engine. The site will display all the technical info you need to properly install the clutch. The "clutch disc guide" tool is more frequently called a "pilot bearing alignment" tool in parts stores. One of those will cost only a few bucks for a plastic version that will work fine for your purposes. When you torque the clutch to the flywheel, tighten the bolts in a criss-cross pattern like you would when changing a wheel. Make sure the clutch fork engages the groove in the throwout bearing as you mate up the bell housing to the motor. Good luck.

Old 09-14-2020, 12:58 PM

I have a 2005 Accent 5 speed. I replaced the master cylinder when I found I could not shift properly.
I have bled the lines properly and i can see the slave cylinder extending when i depress the clutch pedal.
I still find I cannot shift properly.
It is like the gears dont line up. It feels as if the clutch is not clutch is not fuly disengaging.
Does anyone know how far the slave cylinder plunger is supposed to move when you push the clutch pedal?
I can see it extend maybe an inch or an inch and a quarter.
Is that far enough?