Hyundai Tiburon This coupe has been the sporty model from Hyundai for three generations.

Defective clutch parts @ 23K now new clutch at 60K miles?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 07:51 AM
Exclamation Defective clutch parts @ 23K now new clutch at 60K miles?

I call BS on my dealership!!!

We've had our 2006 Tibby since day one, brand new, like 300 miles when we bought it. At 23K miles in 2010 the transmission got sloppy then locked up out of no where. The dealership said they found defective pressure plate, clutch disc and bearings. Fixed free, no charge, fine.

Now @ 60K today they're saying I have to replace the whole clutch.

I'm pretty furious as it had probably never been right in the first place but that was 10 years ago and I didn't really have any experience working on cars to know how bad it probably was. THEN I drove around for almost 25K miles with a **** up clutch. Even now I've only worked on engines, brakes, etc on my vintage beetle. Nothing transmission related on either cars, certainly the Beetle needs more work than the Tibby ever did.

The dealership quoted me $1,200.00 and frankly I called a bunch of other places and when asked for my make and model other mechanics had just flat out refused to take the job on. We bought in in June or July of 2006 so I have some time left on whatever my warranty was when I bought it.

I just put in $600 in to have all my belts replaced at the 60K mark and a new thermostat....yes the car is almost 10 years old...but 60K and a bad clutch?

I need advice bc I REALLY want to put my foot down on this. I'm more than willing to pay for proper repairs and I'm always on top of my maintenance.....but the clutch should NOT GO at 60K miles and seeing as how i have their invoice from 2010 that specifically states they "found a defective clutch plate, clutch disc, and bearing. - replace all".

Would I be making a total *** of myself to demand they replace the clutch for free? We have a 10 year warranty, although it's been so long I don't really remember whats covered, and whats' not covered.

Advice?

Old 01-11-2016, 02:24 PM

EDIT:

I'm concerned because after all those "Defective" clutch parts......shouldn't they have replaced the flywheel?

I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't that be like putting brand new brake pads on a crappy worn out router? I mean, if one is bad, it's put damage on the other!? Right!?

Old 01-11-2016, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

Are you the original owner?
If so, you should still be under under the 10y 100k mile warranty.
If not, you're SOL.

Old 01-11-2016, 02:52 PM

I am the original owner.
They told me the clutch wasn't covered and I was a little confused.

Back when we were first married and buying a car we knew NOTHING about cars and bought this car specifically for the "best warranty in America" blah blah blah.

They told me this was normal clutch life span, and while I get it....it could be......I really don't think that's what's going on here.

I really enjoyed they're whole "we have no record of clutch work" and I have the original invoice from the same guy, same service department, AT THE DEALERSHIP.

Old 01-12-2016, 08:45 AM
Former Site Vendor

I work at a dealership and can tell you that we are ALWAYS doing warranty work on Hyundais. I am not saying the cars are unreliable, I am saying that the warranty is that good. I can see where the dealer would tell you that the clutch is a wearable part (because it is) but if you can talk with the manager you may get different results. I would not be mean or dishonest, I would simply state that the vehicle was in for a similar problem which you have record of and you want to know why the warranty does not cover it this time since it covered it previously. If that does not get you anywhere then it may be time to drive it to a different dealer.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:13 AM

Thank for your input, I really appreciate it.

Back to my question though.....if I had been riding around with bad clutch parts they felt were so defective they replaced them for free....why not the flywheel? That just seems to make so sense to me. If they had replaced it or resurfaced it I might be willing to pay for a new clutch.

As it stands.............I doubt I'll ever buy another Hyundai again.

Old 01-12-2016, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

Sorry but I think you're out of luck. The clutch is a wear item and to be honest, you've got no way to prove you drove the clutch properly. I'm not saying you didn't, I'm just saying you can't prove it.

And this whole thing about the flywheel doesn't matter. Did the original claim say the flywheel was bad or just the clutch? Just because the clutch bolts to the flywheel doesn't mean they should change the flywheel if it's not bad. Heck, the flywheel is bolted to the crankshaft, and the crankshaft is bolted into the engine, and the clutch is attached to the trans, and the trans is attached to the engine, and the engine is attached to the whole car. So I guess they should have replaced the whole car.

Buck up and pay the man. Yeah, it sucks but sometimes that happens.

Old 01-12-2016, 02:54 PM
Former Site Vendor

Originally Posted by E717
Thank for your input, I really appreciate it.

Back to my question though.....if I had been riding around with bad clutch parts they felt were so defective they replaced them for free....why not the flywheel? That just seems to make so sense to me. If they had replaced it or resurfaced it I might be willing to pay for a new clutch.

As it stands.............I doubt I'll ever buy another Hyundai again.

That, unfortunately, is a question I cannot answer. I do know that Hyundai is very particular when it comes to warranty returns. With that said if the part did not show any visible issues, make sounds, or anything else that could be documented that would be the reason why it was not replaced.

Old 02-14-2021, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by E717
I call BS on my dealership!!!

We've had our 2006 Tibby since day one, brand new, like 300 miles when we bought it. At 23K miles in 2010 the transmission got sloppy then locked up out of no where. The dealership said they found defective pressure plate, clutch disc and bearings. Fixed free, no charge, fine.

Now @ 60K today they're saying I have to replace the whole clutch.

I'm pretty furious as it had probably never been right in the first place but that was 10 years ago and I didn't really have any experience working on cars to know how bad it probably was. THEN I drove around for almost 25K miles with a **** up clutch. Even now I've only worked on engines, brakes, etc on my vintage beetle. Nothing transmission related on either cars, certainly the Beetle needs more work than the Tibby ever did.

The dealership quoted me $1,200.00 and frankly I called a bunch of other places and when asked for my make and model other mechanics had just flat out refused to take the job on. We bought in in June or July of 2006 so I have some time left on whatever my warranty was when I bought it.

I just put in $600 in to have all my belts replaced at the 60K mark and a new thermostat....yes the car is almost 10 years old...but 60K and a bad clutch?

I need advice bc I REALLY want to put my foot down on this. I'm more than willing to pay for proper repairs and I'm always on top of my maintenance.....but the clutch should NOT GO at 60K miles

Advice?
I came to your post late in 2021 as
We are facing a similar problem in Egypt now because of the 7 speed dual clutch transmission system and it says the DCT is not working properly in the bad traffic/ busy streets- countries and you are expected to change it every like 30 k and unfortunately the warranty is 5 years/ 100 k only so you the owners would have to pay for the clutches after the warranty and that would cost more than 1200 USD