Hyundai Tiburon This coupe has been the sporty model from Hyundai for three generations.

Engine needing to catch up with RPM's

Old 02-09-2011, 04:48 PM
Question Engine needing to catch up with RPM's

Hi,

I have a 2005 Tiburon and I have been noticing something with it lately that I never had a problem with before. It seems not to be happening in first gear but happens in the other gears. Say if I shift to 2nd and hit the gas the rpm's shoot up like normal but then the actual speed has to catch up with the rpm's. Before I could hit the gas and the power and speed would be right there with the rpms but now when I hit the gas it will rev up and I can hold it at say 5000 rpm and wait for the speed to actually catch up. I hope you understand what I am saying and hopefully someone could help me out with this. Thank you all in advance!

Old 02-09-2011, 05:39 PM

Clutch is history... that is the mechanical coupling between engine and trans input shaft.

Engine spins, trans does not follow/car go too.

Get the wallet out.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:59 AM

Sorry to say but he's right. First thing's first...... stop applying the gas so hard until you can get the clutch replaced. Excessive slipping may ruin your flywheel as well as that's not a cheap part. If you baby it, your mechanic will just be able to re-surface it at no cost :-). Secondly, if you can, don't wait to do this repair. It affects your gas mileage as well as the flywheel condition. If it's slipping that bad in 2nd, I'd aim to get it fixed in days not weeks. If you can't do that, just be REALLY gentle when accelerating!

An 05 would be out of warranty (not that the dealer would cover this), so hopefully you "know a guy" that can do it for cheaper than most shops. You're looking at $1000 or so for this...

Old 02-10-2011, 02:59 PM

Man I was hoping it was something like this. Thanks for this information guys. See its not something horrible when I am driving and I can still easily drive it I just cant accelerate like before. It still shifts into gear fine and I never grind it out or anything trying to shift. I have been doing my best to be easy accelerating. Is this common for this year and model? Its only got about 65,000 mile on it...If I am easy on it, how long do you think I can wait out before I replace it?

Old 02-10-2011, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by jamedawg32
Man I was hoping it was something like this. Is this common for this year and model?
Elantra and Tiburon is so-so for clutxh wear, comes down to driver left foot/right synch habits.. next item is the silly restrictor Hyundai put in the hydraulic line that allows quick release of clutch, but slows flow back to master thus slips the clutch when engaging = un-needed wear... REMOVE the restrictor !!

Its only got about 65,000 mile on it...
Seen them as low as 20,000,,,, seen them over 100,000,, I drive Toyota, mine turned 335,000 tonight with OE clutch still installed..

If I am easy on it, how long do you think I can wait out before I replace it?
Up to the point it wont hold a load to pull weight of vehicle... try to drive away and it just slips to no end with car not going anywhere.. it's done then.
Replace the disc, pressure plate, release bearing, and resurface the flywheel, and refill the trans using the Hyundai GL-4 manual trans oil, and remove the restrictor from the line, flush clutch release with clean DOT-3 or DOT-4 (higher heat boil point)

Old 02-11-2011, 08:30 AM

This is the DIY sbr711 is referring to btw (removing the restritor): http://www.newtiburon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1962

Spend the half hour doing this and your next clutch will last the life of the car.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:23 PM

The shorter version -

THROW THE SPRING AN RESTRICTOR IN THE TRASH !!

Attached Thumbnails Engine needing to catch up with RPM's-pict0185.jpg   Engine needing to catch up with RPM's-pict0186.jpg   Engine needing to catch up with RPM's-pict0187.jpg   Engine needing to catch up with RPM's-pict0188.jpg