Hyundai Tiburon This coupe has been the sporty model from Hyundai for three generations.

front wheel bearing replacment

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 07:46 AM
Default front wheel bearing replacment

hey guys,
was wondering if any of you knew where i can find a diagram for disassembling the front steering knuckles so i can change my front wheel bearing. i know they are pressed in, but instead of bringing it to a mechanic to do all the work, i am gonna take it all apart myself and just bring the steering knuckle in to get the old out and new one pressed back in. i know the basics of taking it all apart, but every car has something different about them and just want a reference. thanks

Old 09-12-2008, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: front wheel bearing replacment

Carnac the Magnificent isn't a member here. Please tell use what year Tiburon.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:25 PM

oh yeah,,duh,,,its a 2001

Old 09-12-2008, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator

DISASSEMBLY
1. Remove the snap ring.

2. Attach the special tools to the knuckle and hub.

3. Secure the knuckle in a vise.
4. Tighten the nut of the special tool and remove the hub from the knuckle.
When removing wheel hub or wheel bearing from knuckle, replace wheel bearing assembly (outer race, inner races and grease seals) with a new one.
5. Using the special tool, remove the wheel bearing inner race (outside) from the front hub.

6. Install the inner race (outside) that was removed from the hub to the wheel bearing, and then use the special tool to remove the wheel bearing.

REASSEMBLY
1. Fill the wheel bearing with multipurpose grease.
2. Apply a thin coating of multipurpose grease to the knuckle and bearing contact surfaces.
3. Press-in the bearing by using the special tool.

Do not press inner race of wheel bearing assembly.
4. Install snap ring into groove of knuckle.

5. Measure the hub bearing starting torque.

6. If the starting torque is 0 Nm (0 lb.in), measure the hub bearing axial play.
7. If the hub axial play exceeds the limit while the nut is tightened to 200-260 Nm (2,000-2,600 kg.cm, 148-192 lb.ft), the bearing, hub and knuckle have not been installed correctly. Repeat the disassembly and assembly procedure.

8. Remove the special tool

Old 09-16-2008, 09:58 AM

thanks a lot man,,,couldn't have ask for anymore then this,,much apprectiated.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

No problem. Hope the info helps. Good luck with the repairs.

Old 12-14-2008, 11:06 AM

i have a 2001 tiburon. i think my L/F wheel bearing is bad again.it's very costly so i'm going to try it my self.i have the break down of it. when reading the notes there are a lot of special tools listed,are they all needed,or can you just use a hyd. press. also do you have to press the hub from the knuckle or will it come out with ease? the notes also say when removeing wheel hub or wheel bearing from knuckle replace wheel bearing assembly (outer race, inner race,and grease seals). i can only find the wheel bearing none of the other parts. is it possilbe the other parts are for new cars or different models. are there any bearing or seals that go on the hub it self. it seems to me after you press new bearing in the back side of the knuckle and replace the snapring .will you need to press the hud threw the knuckle into the bearing or will it just slide in? the wheel bearing it self is a sealed bearing so it should not need any grease (right)? is grease needed any where else. and if anyone could help with torque setting thet be great. at last how hard of a job is this. hope someone can help! thank you

Old 12-14-2008, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

Special tools and knowledge is why paying a mechanic costs so much.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:47 PM
Default Some bearing detail

So bigbri3137 was looking for some detail a few years back. I liked the parts and method illustration and thought I'd add to it since I happen to have a press but not the special tools and I did manage to change the bearing.
Strong recomendation: Find a machine shop that is willing to press the bearing if you bring them the assembled knuckle. It will be well worth it. 2nd, make the special tools. Last, here is what I did.
Knucle off the car and in the vice by the strut arm. cut a pipe to fit twixt the floor and the ball joint end of the knucle, lugs pointing down. placed a large bolt with washers on it in the spindle and beat the spindle down and out. (don't let it fall on the floor). The spindle will have the race left on it. It must be removed using a special tool that clamps on and use a puller or a press ( I used a press but the puller would have been better.
Next remove the two inner races and press the outer race and bearings into the knuckle. This is tricky since you don't have that special tool. I used two deep sockets under the knuckle where the break caliper attaches and a shorter socket under the point where the anti lock break sensor goes.
It worked but I'd much rather have the special tool. Move that out of the way. Press the inner race all the way down on the spindle. now set the knuckle over the spindle and press the other inner race down on the spindle. Do not over press the race with the press or you will damage the bearing. as you feel the race slip down and stop, you stop. Now you are ready to put the car together and torque the main nut. Important. Do not over torque the nut. In step 7 of the illustration above it is 150-190 ft-lbs. I mention this becaus that's why I had to replace the bearing after I fixed the CV Joint boot a month earlier. BTW if you manage to mess up the knuckle it is very expensive to replace. Used part would be the way to go. I also had a frount wheel bearing kit with a lot of spacers and press plates. Just no the special tools above needed to get the bearing apart and back together. I think I was fairly lucky. Again, If you can find a machine shop that does this sort of thing, take it to them. It will be worth it.