Hyundai Tiburon This coupe has been the sporty model from Hyundai for three generations.

hey redzman

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 07:15 PM
Default hey redzman

I went into the rdtib site very helpfull. I was reading about your car. I have the same one. I has looking to buy a better throttle body. What size did you put on your car.(what is IM). And if you could hook me up with other little things to improve either respnce or power. I want to keep my tib but I must do some work to it. So far I have A drop in k&n air filter and a front strut bar. PLeace either give me feed back or email me At scottcablesouth2@aol.com Wantabeafastertibby If you could respond too I would appreciate that to Thanks guys

Old 05-07-2005, 11:32 AM
Default RE: hey redzman

A friend just showed me this post, as I don't come here because of the lack of activity on these forums.

TO answer your questions my friend.

I have a RSide Adjustable BBTB, it goes from 59 to 61MM using adjustable rings. www.kspec.com has them.

My current IM is the OEM stock IM. I have a Airram Intake Manifold that I just finished boring out to 71MM so if I go turbo later I can leave it on the car and put on a huge BBTB. It's going off to be ceramic coated next month and then on the car in June.

Your drop in filter isn't doing you much good, especially if you haven't taken your resonators out. Check the Do It Yourself section at RDtiburon.com for info on how to do that FREE mod and get some excellent throttle response, sound, and power back into your car. I highly recommend the AEM Cold Air Intake though, you'll never see that good of gains for that low of a price again in your modding carreer. LOL

The Front Strut bar is a necessity, but the center floor bar and the rear strut bar are also BIG winners for some suspension/looks modification. Kspec.com has the front and rear, don't get the center bar there. Instead, go to www.ebay.com and search for Tiburon Floor Bar and pick one up in a color you like. The brackets take a little cutting to fit correctly, and you have to bore out 2 holes a bit, but it only took me about 20 minutes with a rotory tool to get everything done right. My car handles VERY flat in the turns now.

Please, spend more time at Rdtiburon.com, you'll find lots of helpfull folks (Almost 2000 active members) lots of stuff for sale on a regular basis, and a good friendly community.

Old 05-08-2005, 12:51 AM

thanks I took out Both resonators and I think I reset my ECU. The responce def got better. And I am going to go turbo. Have you tried/thought about turboing your tib. Before I turbo i am going to prep my thottle body. What do you recomend.

Old 05-08-2005, 02:12 AM

I'd recommend you come to RDtiburon.com and read up about the available turbo kits.

LOL

I'd also go pick up a book called Maximum Boost by Corkey Bell, and read the hell out of it. It'll save you a TON of money and time.

I'm going slow, I'm planning on turbo'in my tib next year with a modified Speed Factor turbo kit. Nothing against this site, there's just so little info here.

What do you mean you are going to prep your throttle body? I'd just get a BIG BORE Throttle Body (BBTB) and put it on with the turbo, get your IM bored out and matched to the ports on the head and TB. Or the Airram IM from Kspec.com . I've got the Rside Adustable BBTB from Kspec.com, very nice. 61MM right now.

Old 05-08-2005, 03:07 PM

I was going to change the throttle body soon and turbo it in the next couple of months. IF i change the throttle body now will I feal a big dif in response (right away), If so i will order it today. I registerd at rdtiburon so we will prob be talking over there. I have a couple more ques. I want to order the rear strut bar, but what do i have to do instalation wise to put it in. I don't want to loose anything(seat etc.) and If i have to I will drill holes i will but i do not want to . I am unsure what to do. As for the throttle body, is it easy to replace. And finally what else becides a cai do you recomend i do to get more powere or beter response. Thanks again for all your help

Old 05-08-2005, 05:00 PM

ORIGINAL: scott

IF i change the throttle body now will I feal a big dif in response (right away)
Yes.

I registerd at rdtiburon so we will prob be talking over there.
Good stuff.

I want to order the rear strut bar, but what do i have to do instalation wise to put it in.
All you have to do is take a few interior parts off to get it installed and cut 2 small holes with a razor knife. Everything still works fine.

I don't want to loose anything(seat etc.) and If i have to I will drill holes i will but i do not want to .
You won't lose anything, no holes to drill, it mounts on the strut bolts. Only thing you have to modify is to cut 2 small holes for the bar to go thru on the sides.

As for the throttle body, is it easy to replace.
Very easy. If you have a strut bar, it takes about 25 minutes. If not, about 20 minutes. I have a full DIY writeup on how to do it in our Do It Yourself section at RDtiburon.com . I belive there is a DIY on the rear strut bar installation on speedstate.com in the Hyundai section.

And finally what else becides a cai do you recomend i do to get more powere or beter response.
Well, after the CAI and your BBTB, I'd highly suggest you either...

A. Port your IM (Intake manifold).

B. Buy a Airram Intake Manifold. kspec.com

After your intake is complete (Might want to consider ceramic coating your intake manifold and getting a phenolic spacer, or some call it a heatshield gasket, hondata.com and ebay have them, keeps your intake from heating up while the engine is running), you need to work on your exhaust. 2.5 inch MANDREL bent exhaust, that's the way to go. www.importshark.com just got a new shipment of exhausts in for us, might wanna look.

Best part is, all of these items will DEFINATELY help you out when you turbo, except for the CAI.

Otherwise?

1. 1.8L ECU swap from a 1998 Elantra or Tiburon.
2. 1.8L Intake Cam swap. www.kspec.com
3. Lightweight crank pulley.
4. Lightweight power pulleys.
5. Lightweight flywheel.

Thanks again for all your help
That's why I'm here.

Old 05-09-2005, 09:47 PM

Alright lots of help. I am going to order a bbtb soon (should i order the biggest one i can or should i get the adjustable one.) and i am also going to buy a set of underdrive, pullys. Should i get the 1.8 ecu for the turbo or should i get it because it will improve my car.IF i order the rear strut will i feel it, or do i have to complete it with the center bar. I dont want to get cai because two of my friends sucked up water and killed their motor, Any sugjestions on what to do.

Old 05-09-2005, 09:49 PM

sorry I also wanted to know more about the cams from a 1.8 why that?

Old 05-09-2005, 09:58 PM

ORIGINAL: scott

I am going to order a bbtb soon (should i order the biggest one i can or should i get the adjustable one.)
The biggest you can get right now is the Adjustable, yes, go big. No bigger than 62MM for N/A applications though.

Should i get the 1.8 ecu for the turbo or should i get it because it will improve my car.
We have multiple threads about this mod and the 1.8L Cam on Rdtiburon.com . The ECU is great for N/A and will work well with a turbo. Same with the cam. The Cam is a good Modification because it holds your intake open a bit longer so you get more air in your cylinders for combustion.

IF i order the rear strut will i feel it, or do i have to complete it with the center bar.
If you can't afford to get them all at once, get them in the following order.

Front Strut Bar, Rear strut bar, Center Brace.

I dont want to get cai because two of my friends sucked up water and killed their motor,
Yeah, get a CAI and don't drive thru water deeper than your foglights. if you are fording rivers in your Tiburon, you deserve to lose the engine. You CAN buy a Bypass valve for your CAI and that will guarantee you don't suck up any water, but the fact is, you would be an IDIOT to drive thru any water deep enough in the tib to get it sucked up in the intake.

Old 05-10-2005, 02:21 PM

Do you know where I can get Either The 1.8 ecu, OR 1.8L cam. And where I can get the adjustable bbtb. I will also take your word for it and get a cai. The last question i have is if i install rear and center strut will i feal it, or do you recomend changing the sruts and springs.

Quick Reply: hey redzman