Hyundai Tiburon This coupe has been the sporty model from Hyundai for three generations.

how to convert transmissions

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 02:39 AM
Default how to convert transmissions

Transmission going out in 03' tib. wanting to switch to a six speed from a automatic does any one have suggestions?
where to go? how to do this? is this possible?

Old 10-31-2006, 06:17 PM
Default RE: how to convert transmissions

yes its possible but very hard and expensive, you gonna have to add another pedal ( clutch) and redo your center piece where the shifter is

Old 11-01-2006, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

Those are hardly the worst parts of the conversion. You are almost assuredly better off financially selling your current car and buying one with the setup you want built that way at the factory.

Old 11-09-2006, 02:34 AM

Why does everyone keep saying that about tranny swaps?

Its most definatly not worth giving up a car you might have modded and most likely have grown accustomed to in order to trade for a manual.

And one time i even heard something along the lines of, "a swapped stick car doesnt drive/look the same as a stock stick car."

Both my girlfriend and a good friend of mine drive swapped tibs. And all 3 of us have turbo tibs and all are rd2s, i bet if i let you look over all 3 cars side by side, and even drive each one, you couldnt tell who's came stick from the factory.

I dont know about the Gk's but for RD's its gotten to the point where swapping is down to a fine science and your walking a well beaten path with experianced memebers available and DIY's on tap. Not to mention that any performance shop worth its weight in dirt can do a swap for less than a grand, maybe a bit more if their swift and your not so much.

If you want some idea of what youd be getting your self into, go to RDtiburon.com and look in the DIY section for auto to manual swap, its got pictures and detailed walkthrough descriptions. If your not a DIY'er, call some shops.