Hyundai Tiburon This coupe has been the sporty model from Hyundai for three generations.

poor AM reception in 2007 Tiburon--Fixes??

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 12:46 PM
Unhappy poor AM reception in 2007 Tiburon--Fixes??

I have a 2007 Tiburon which had an Infinity CD/Cassette/AM-FM radio.The FM and Tape player worked fine but I couldn't get AM reception.It was fuzzy and crackling and barely could be heard on the strongest local stations.The dealer said the radio was off warranty. They did replace the antenna associated with the rear window( no tinting). It didn't improve the reception. I lived with this for a while until the radio started to not come on after the car was turned on and running. The final straw was when an IPOD cassette adapter got stuck in the unit and wouldn't eject. I decided I would get a new head unit. I had a Kenwood HD 548 U installed last week. The HD/CD/USB and FM radio works great BUT the AM reception is no better. I noticed last night when I turned the ignition to ACC that our two strongest local stations sounded pretty good but when I started the car the reception was horrible again. So, I'm suspecting I may have some interference issue when the car is running but I also suspect I need a stronger boost to the AM signal that I'm getting from my antenna from the rear window. I don't want to change the look and lines of the car. Any suggestions for improving the reception? I'm Frustrated!!!

Old 10-06-2011, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator

People still listen to AM?

Old 10-06-2011, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by NovaResource
People still listen to AM?
I want to listen to Sports programming and talk radio and AM is our only choice. Has anyone used Metra parts 44-UA60 or 44-UA20 to improve AM reception. I have heard mixed reviews??

Old 10-07-2011, 10:59 AM

I have also found an inline AM/FM amplifier that the ad says many of the foreign cars makers have been installing at the factory. Would this perhaps work. It has a motorola male and female end with a wire connection to ACC power. Any ideas or experience??

Old 10-08-2011, 12:37 PM

I'm still hoping someone will have some input into my AM reception dilemma? Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:37 PM

I heard from the dealer who is promoting an inline AM/FM antenna booster of 6-8db and he feels that it should greatly improve my AM reception problem. I have ordered it and will have it installed and if that doesn't help enough than I'm going to have a ground run from the head unit to a good ground. I will keep everyone posted. If this works I will tell everyone how to order the parts, if they would like to give it a try. The part is 100% guaranteed and can be returned if it fails to resolve the issue.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:26 PM

This is an update on my AM reception issue. I've had the deluxe AM/FM inline 6-8db antenna signal booster installed in my 2007 Tiburon with the new Kenwood --KDC HD548U recently installed by BEST BUY. The signal is much better but it didn't completely resolve all the poor reception on AM. It is much better, with the strong stations doing pretty well but weaker stations still crackly. I also had a good ground installed but it didn't seem to make a significant difference. I feel I've done pretty much what I can and generally I am much happier. I suspect the only way I could improve the reception would be to install a fixed metal pole antenna and I don't want to do that. Additionally, this amplifier has improve the number and quality of FM and HD stations I receive. If anyone is interested in this booster, I found it on e-bay at "cecideal" for $7.95 plus $2.95 shipping. They give a 100% satisfaction guarantee for a full refund including shipping, if not satisfied. Good luck to all.

Old 10-24-2011, 04:14 PM

Haha just am is bad? In my 2007 gt, the am AND fm both suck!! They aren't very clear and I can forget about using an FM tuner to hook up my ipod in there even though i never had any problems in any other cars with it. I was told that with the infinity sound system i have, that i'll have to completely go aftermarket just to add an auxilary plug in. My advice, download it and burn it on cd, whatever it is. Pretty sad that the car has this suppossed amazing sound system but you can't really enjoy it.