Hyundai Tucson The second offering in the compact SUV market from Hyundai.

120,000 Miles - What needs replacing? Newbie, HELP

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 04:25 PM
Default 120,000 Miles - What needs replacing? Newbie, HELP

Hi,

I just bought a 2007 and I have to do some work on it. I am replacing all the suspension parts and brakes. The dealer suggested changing the timing belt - and then I get into it. There's tensioners, and pulleys and the water pump, etc, etc.

I wouldn't normally expect to be changing any of this at this mileage but I can see that it would be worth making sure the belt is in good shape for our next 4,000 mile road trip!

Water pump?? It obviously works and there is a possibility that a replacement could fail in the first couple of thousand miles.

I wouldn't expect the pulleys etc to need replacing...

Any advice would be helpful

My guess is this vehicle was driven by a farmer's wife - baby seat marks, NO stamps in the maintenance book - farmers find it easier to service themselves (even when it's free). Signs of travel on a gravel road but the paint doesn't show it (drove slow - baby on board?) All suspension bushings are worn out.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

The timing belt gets changed every 60k miles so yes, it needs to be changed again at 120K. And yes, the timing belt tensioner needs to be changed too.

I'd replace the trans fluid, and coolant as well.

The water pump is probably fine if it's not leaking or making noise.

Old 10-13-2013, 08:52 AM

The latest thing to change now is the brake fluid. If it has a slight greenish tint copper is getting into the fluid and should be changed. What next???

Old 10-14-2013, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator

I agree and forgot to add that. The brake fluid should be changed every 60k miles too.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:46 AM

Thanks guys, that's very helpful.

It just occurred to me that I should do the timing belt before I put the right front strut back!

This car's pretty clean underneath for the miles it's done, so this has gone well so for (RH Front). For anyone following this, it looks like the swaybar link would be almost impossible to remove without removing the control arm, so needs to be replaced now - the left one will be even more fun I think!

And I am not regretting paying the extra for complete arms rather than just bushings. This isn't like my old Chevys or my 1993 Merc. The material doesn't look like it would stand up to the same amount of abuse and that front bushing has to be in there pretty tight. So without the right tools and better knowledge, this is the way for me.

Brake fluid has 4% moisture so I was planning on pumping thru' a pint or two. Not sure how to "flush" the brake fluid and don't think I have the tools - might mess up the ESC & ABS?

The dealer also recommended trannie flush, transfer case service and rear diff service. Not sure how you "service" these.

BTW my total estimate for this work from the dealer was $4,735! That's why I'm here and VERY thankful for all your help.

Old 10-14-2013, 11:32 AM
Default Timing Belt

OK, so I guess I'm doing the belt and water pump.

Realistically, what else should actually need replacing. The Hydraulic tensioner is suggested ($150). Some belt kits come with rollers (but not bearings!?)

Tensioner pulley, idler pulley.... I haven't got it apart yet so it's not making a lot of sense. It's not really that old a vehicle. Should i expect these parts to be worn out?

Old 10-30-2013, 04:52 PM
Default Gone quiet here huh?

I just finishing this marathon off, here's my list...

4 Struts
2 Control arms
4 Sway bar links
4 rotors
4 set pads
spark plugs
HT leads
Water pump
Timing Belt Kit Including: Timing pulley, Timing idler, Timing tensioner
Harmonic Balancer
Power steering pump
Brake fluid flush
A/T fluid flush
Power Steering Fluid Flush

and I still have the Transfer case and rear diff. to"service" (change oil!)

Some of this is overkill but I want to start with a "known" quantity. My Hyundai dealer would have done this for me - for around $6,000!

I will get back and write this up in a new thread but in the meantime, if you are looking for tips (problems!) email me or post here.