Hyundai Tucson The second offering in the compact SUV market from Hyundai.

2006 Tucson GLS starter issue?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 09:14 PM
Default 2006 Tucson GLS starter issue?

Hello,

I'm new to both this forum and working on my girlfriend's 2006 Tucson GLS. It seems to be having a starter problem, which is unexpected because I had the starter replaced just over a year ago when it failed the last time.

So...the car won't start. A multimeter shows that the battery has a full charge. At ACC and ON, all the dash lights seem to work properly, and when I try to start it a number of lights dim as they usually do during ignition attempts. However, not a click or anything in the starter.

Because the starter is relatively new -- and to the best of my recollection, it was a new starter and not a re-manufactured part -- I'm wondering whether the failure might be somewhere in the connection between the battery and the starter.

Can someone suggest a way to proceed?

Old 09-04-2014, 09:18 PM

One thing I should note -- this did happen once before, a few months ago. A AAA truck driver whacked the starter and the car did start. We then brought it to a mechanic, who could not replicate the problem, though they did note (and correct) a loose battery cable on the positive side of the battery. It hadn't given us another problem until now.

Old 09-05-2014, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, hitting a starter will sometimes make it start. It only works a few times and only when a faulty starter is the problem. So try smacking the starter a couple times with a hammer and see if it starts. If it does, then the starter is probably the problem. If it doesn't then it's probably an electrical issue. Check all the power and ground connections.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:18 PM

Thanks. I hit it as someone is turning the key in the ignition, correct? And I'm still trying to locate a parts fiche to show me where it is on the 2.7 engine.

Old 09-12-2014, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by NovaResource
Yes, hitting a starter will sometimes make it start. It only works a few times and only when a faulty starter is the problem. So try smacking the starter a couple times with a hammer and see if it starts. If it does, then the starter is probably the problem. If it doesn't then it's probably an electrical issue. Check all the power and ground connections.
Is there a bottom plate that protects the starter in the 2.7 V6? I can't openly see the starter where I've been told to look because of this plate.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:04 AM

Yes there is a heat shield over starter

Old 09-22-2014, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Erichshonda
Yes there is a heat shield over starter
So I've got the Tucson up on jack stands and am trying to feel my away around. It appears there are two bolts and one nut to remove in order to remove the heat shield -- does that sound right?

I'm also wondering if there is anything else to remove in order to get at the starter -- to examine the connections, for example. It seems awkwardly placed to do much of anything except remove it outright.

Any pointers for making access to the connections easier? Or do I have to remove the whole starter in order to test them?

Old 09-23-2014, 05:45 AM

First remove your negative battery cable from battery before removal. If you don't you will likely rub the heat shield on the positive terminal of starter and shoot sparks out witch will surely get your attention. The heat shield should come out, if not you may have to loosen exhaust flanges to ease removal and gain access. Once removed remove the solenoid wire and test to see if you have battery voltage with ign. In the start position. Of coarse you must reconnect your battery before this test.

Old 09-23-2014, 06:49 PM

First remove your negative battery cable from battery before removal. If you don't you will likely rub the heat shield on the positive terminal of starter and shoot sparks out witch will surely get your attention. The heat shield should come out, if not you may have to loosen exhaust flanges to ease removal and gain access. Once removed remove the solenoid wire and test to see if you have battery voltage with ign. In the start position. Of coarse you must reconnect your battery before this test.
I assume this is one of the flanges you mentioned? Is there another? I definitely have to move something out of the way if I'm to remove the heat shield. What about the shielding that's in front of the stretch of pipe above the flange I have circled in the picture?

Attached Thumbnails 2006 Tucson GLS starter issue?-photo.jpg  
Old 09-23-2014, 06:51 PM

One more question -- can I assume there is no way to get to the solenoid from above, even if I were to remove the plastic engine cover?

Quick Reply: 2006 Tucson GLS starter issue?