Hyundai Tucson The second offering in the compact SUV market from Hyundai.

Change Spark Plugs - Hyundai Tucson 2005 V6 2.7L

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 06:44 PM
Talking Change Spark Plugs - Hyundai Tucson 2005 V6 2.7L

Hi guys,

Need to remove the upper air intake manifold to acces the rear set of spark plugs. ANy instructions or diagrams that would help?

It looks like there are 3 bolts on the left side of the manifold that connect it to the main air supply. there are 2 more bolts on the back side and I think 3 more in the front that hold it in place. Now the connection to the main air supply has a seal and I'm not sure if it will need to be replaced once I open it.

Please suggestions, ideas or prayers are welcome

Ed

Old 09-16-2010, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator

Here's a great resource on how to remove plugs. It's for the 2.7L in the Tiburon but it's almost identical to the 2.7L in the Tucson.
http://www.newtiburon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1760

Old 09-16-2010, 06:59 PM

Hey Pal, I have that source and is similar but still don't answer the questions asked since the intakes are way different.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:51 PM

Sound like you got the new 2.7,,,, oil filter sit straight up ?

Not hard to do, look at it.. handfull of bolt across plenum to lower intake, some wiring, and a handfull of bolt across back of intake at bulkhead side, they is real fun to get at.. last 1 I did I had to get the bolts from bottom, thank goodness it was a 2WD...

Remove air inlet tube from throttle body, and just tip the plenum up enough to allow you get in and replace plugs.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Ed1976
Hey Pal, I have that source and is similar but still don't answer the questions asked since the intakes are way different.
Hey Pal, the intakes are different but not "way different". If you can't figure out the slight differences between the Tib and Tucson intakes, maybe you should take it to a REAL mechanic.

Here are some more info for you:
http://www.tucsondrivers.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=3868

INTAKE MANIFOLD

INTAKE MANIFOLD REMOVAL
1.Remove the engine cover.
2.Remove air cleaner hose.
3.Remove surge tank assembly.
(1)Disconnect the accelerator cable.

(2)Disconnect the TPS connector(A).
(3)Disconnect the ISA connector(B).
(4)Disconnect the VIS actuator connector(C).
(5)Disconnect the injector connector(D).
(6)Disconnect the PCSV connector(E).

(7)Disconnect the PCSV hose.
(8)Disconnect the brake booster vacuum hose(A).

(9)Disconnect the PCV hose.
(10)Disconnect the IAT sensor connector(A).
(11)Disconnect the VIS actuator connector(B).

(12)Disconnect the ground cable(A) from the surge tank assembly.

(13)Remove the surge tank stay.

(14)Remove the surge tank assembly(A).

4.Remove the injector assembly(A).

5.Remove the intake manifold(A) and gasket.

INTAKE MANIFOLD INSTALLATION
1.Install the intake manifold and gasket.
Tightening torque
19 ~ 21Nm (190 ~ 210kgf.cm, 14 ~ 15lbf.ft)

2.Install the injector assembly. (See FL group - injector)
3.Install the surge tank assembly(A).
(1)Install the surge tank assembly.
Tightening torque
15 ~ 20Nm (150 ~ 200kgf.cm, 11 ~ 15lbf.ft)

(2)Install the surge tank stay.
Tightening torque
15 ~ 20Nm (150 ~ 200kgf.cm, 11 ~ 15lbf.ft)
(3)Install the ground cable.
(4)Connect the VIS actuator connector.
(5)Connect the IAT sensor connector.
(6)Connect the PCV hose.
(7)Connect the brake booster vacuum hose.
(8)Connect the PCSV hose.
(9)Connect the PCSV connector.
(10)Connect the injector connector.
(11)Connector the VIS actuator connector.
(12)Connector the ISA connector.
(13)Connector the TPS connector.
(14)Connector the actuator cable.
4.Install the air cleaner hose.
5.Install the engine cover.

Last edited by NovaResource; 06-04-2013 at 05:32 AM. Reason: Added more info for "Mr. Mechanic"
Old 10-21-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote: "Hey Pal, the intakes are different but not "way different". If you can't figure out the slight differences between the Tib and Tucson intakes, maybe you should take it to a REAL mechanic."

THEY ARE WAY, WAY DIFFERENT!!

Sorry but your comment is very misleading for anyone reading this thread later and trying do do this. Like Me!!

The Bolts at the back look almost impossible to remove and really impossible to replace> I am looking at parting the intake but 2 bolts and one stud are stopping me. If I can get the stud out I am home free.

That Touscondrivers link is the best info yet - thanks for that. Nice clear pictures.

Those pictures Finally show me where those bolts are. On mine (2007 2.7) they are covered by a harness, I had to bend the brackets to get the harness out of the way.

I tried something a little different. I have NO IDEA how I would get those bolts back in if I took them out. So I slackened them off and took the 2 bolts and nut from the manifold to the left. Then, using the slack created by slackening the bolts I simply pulled the Surge thingy off!! It won't go back on the same way but now I can see the back of the bolts and I can see that I can easily slack 1/4" without risk of them dropping out. If anyone else tries this simply count the number of turns (1/4 turns) till it adds up to .25". That way you won't have to force as much as I did.

I haven't put it back on yet (taking a break!) but I have a couple of options. The stud at the back is way longer than it need be so I might cut a bit off. If you try this put a couple of nuts on there first and lock them. That does 2 things; it protects the thread and when you remove them it will straighten out the last burrs and make it easier to get the nut back on. Removing the burrs will be difficult - I have a 1" grinder that will come in handy.

I could try removing the stud now I have it bare. But it's in there pretty tight and don't think the 2 nut trick works that well with fine threads. I might end up drilling it out (easy-out) but I don't fancy that.

Worst case I'll drill out both pieces and put a nut and bolt in there. Make it easier next time I do this! lol.

If anybody is reading this and wants help email me and I'll give what advice I can. I had a devil of a job finding enough info.

Oh, I also disconnected the throttle body instead of undoing all those connections. I think that is easier - wiring seems a bit fragile on this one.

Last edited by NovaResource; 10-22-2013 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Merged 3 posts
Old 10-22-2013, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by KenF
THEY ARE WAY, WAY DIFFERENT!!

Sorry but your comment is very misleading for anyone reading this thread later and trying do do this. Like Me!!

The Bolts at the back look almost impossible to remove and really impossible to replace> I am looking at parting the intake but 2 bolts and one stud are stopping me. If I can get the stud out I am home free.
Then it's time to let a REAL mechanic do the work.