Hyundai Tucson The second offering in the compact SUV market from Hyundai.

Gentex Rearview Mirror

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 03:52 PM
Default Gentex Rearview Mirror

I am looking to retrofit my 2006 Tucson GLS with a Gentex Rearview Mirror. It is the 50-GENK50. Its features are auto-dimming, compass, outside temperature and HomeLink. I was wondering if anyone else has done this and if so are they satisfied with the result. In doing some research it isn't clear to me if there is a mount that's compatible with the Tucson or how easy it is to run the wiring for the external temperature. Any feedback would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you,
Keith
Plymouth, WI

Old 10-08-2006, 05:15 PM
Default RE: Gentex Rearview Mirror

I'm just now in the process of doing the same thing...

However, I'm getting my mirror from Hyundai, not from Gentex.

When I first started to investigate getting the Gentex mirror (back in April of this year), Gentex told me they would not fit on the Tucson because of the foot piece that addhears to the inside of the windshield, and that I would have to remove the Hyundai version and install the one that came with the Gentex mirror.

Gentex had some customers that purchased the mirror and attempted to remove the Hyundai foot (as I will refer to it as), and ended up cracking the windshield because they didn't know how to perform the removal properly. So Gentext decided to put on their website, n/a for Tucson.

Hence, (one of the reasons) I went with the Hyundai version.

BTW... The proper way to remove the foot is to lay the windshield flat (yes, you need to remove it), and poor lighter fluid around the foot, set it on fire, which will heat the glass/adhesive and then take a pair of channel locks around the foot, and twist gently until it comes off. Then clean the surface and re-apply the new foot. Unfortunatley you really can't peform this task all that well while the winsheild is installed. Most windshield places will charge you around $50-$75 to do this for you, a small price to pay over that for a new windshield. Which! by the way, for the Tucson is around $600. I know this because I had mine replaced (due to a rock slamming into it) back in July(ish). Check out www.tucsondrivers.com were I posted the damange and replacement pictures about my or'deal.

Back to the mirror...

Now... I just got a good look at the mount on the one I will be getting, and it looks like I'll be able to use the same foot.

The Hyundai mirror does not have the outside temp, nor the under lip map lights (option for some of the Gentex mirrors), but that's ok. I'm primarily interested in the HomeLink feature anyway.

I should be getting my mirror within two weeks (guessing) so I'll have a better idea of all of this then.

Old 10-09-2006, 10:25 AM

On Thursday, my Hyundai dealer is installing the Gentex mirror (outside temp, compass & HomeLink). A bit expensive but at least I will have peace of mind that any issues that occur is in their hands. The dealer said that it is a rather easy thing to do. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Old 10-13-2006, 05:18 PM

Well my dealer installed my mirror on my Tucson. Rather than removing the original mirror foot, he left it there and just removed the mirror. He then installed the foot that came with the new mirror just below the original. It looks better than one might think. Everything works great. The outside temperature is reading about 5 degrees high though. I will be looking to see where the temperature probe was installed in case it's located near something that gives off heat.