Hyundai Tucson The second offering in the compact SUV market from Hyundai.

Need Help Diagnosing Issue 2006 Hyundai Tucson 2.0L Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 03:14 PM
Default Need Help Diagnosing Issue 2006 Hyundai Tucson 2.0L Automatic

Hi there,

I purchased a 2006 Hyundai Tucson GL 2.0L I-4 4cylinder Automatic in January of this year. About three months ago I started noticing a shudder in my steering wheel every time I put a heavy electrical load on my engine. I replaced the battery which definitely helped since it was not marked when the battery had even been put in. However, the shudder has continued to grow through the months.

I took it yesterday to a dealership and they explained to me that what I was feeling was normal. They also tried to tell me it was the weather. I kept explaining that this issue was not there when I first bought the vehicle so how could it be normal? I did ask them what else could it be, and he said that he did not know. I have my ideas but I am really looking for other opinions.

So what I mean by heavy electrical load is when my car needs to be running head lights, defroster, windshield wipers and radio, and I am driving. Then when I stop I can feel the shudder in my steering wheel. It does not happen any other time, only under high electrical load.

Thank you for any ideas or suggestions.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:14 PM

Check the voltage at the battery while the engine is idling and the electrical load is heavy
Steady 14.5 volts means it isn't the alternator and maybe the steering needs looking into.

Pretty sure that the people at the dealership didn't deal with your problem and kept telling you that it was normal.
That's their catch phrase for not knowing what the problem is and not knowing what to do
So, they brush off your concerns. Meanwhile is can become very dangerous.

Old 12-25-2015, 09:33 AM

My 15 Tucson SE shakes at idle when I have a High Electrical Demand. Unless its really bad, I would say its normal.
14.5V is an Average. I have a capacitor in my trunk for a subwoofer. Reads 14.7-14.8 at times. Its Possible the Alternator (Voltage Regulator inside) may be going bad.