Hyundai Tucson The second offering in the compact SUV market from Hyundai.

Newbie with 08 Tucson GLS question.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 11:17 AM
Default Newbie with 08 Tucson GLS question.

hey guys,

so my wife has an 08 tucson gls that i originally thought was 4WD or AWD when i first met her (she bought the car before i met her) and just found out that it is 2WD?? and we live in NY lol - anyway...

Here is a list of issues the car has had so far. It currently has 64k miles on it and she bought it brand new off the lot:

1. Oil pan rotted completely through = We were sitting in line at a drive thru waiting for food and we hear a ticking noise in the engine like a bomb is going to go off. I chalked it up to not getting the oil changed as timely as i needed to so we took it across the street to the mechanic to get an oil change. They brought us out the old oil pan and showed us he could stick his finger straight through it.

2. Brakes squeal even after being replaced when braking -- sounds like metal swords dualing kinda when we brake.

3. O2 sensor went bad after spewing black smoke out of exhaust in the winter. Not sure the proper terminology for this but it was the "easier" one to replace from the vehicle so i am assuming in the rear?

4. Car randomly overheated for no reason? -- I was driving last summer and the temp gauge flew up every time i accelerated. Pulled the car over, let it cool down -- the car had zero antifreeze in the radiator?? it was literally bone dry but we filled it again and never had another issue.

5. Oil-like stain on the engine shroud - should i be concerned or possibly excess oil when being changed?

6. Now the CEL for O2 sensor came back on again this week and the car is getting crap mileage.

I want to start to do these repairs on my own instead of paying the mechanic all this labor when many things look like simple things that can be done with a socket set etc. Any tips or feedback on the above would be appreciated!

Also, is there a comprehensive repair guide for this vehicle?

Old 07-27-2015, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

First let me say I have a 2006 FWD V6 Tucson with $103,000+ miles.
Originally Posted by j0hnny1983
1. Oil pan rotted completely through = We were sitting in line at a drive thru waiting for food and we hear a ticking noise in the engine like a bomb is going to go off. I chalked it up to not getting the oil changed as timely as i needed to so we took it across the street to the mechanic to get an oil change. They brought us out the old oil pan and showed us he could stick his finger straight through it.
Unfortunately, not unusual. I have the same issue with the oil pan on my wife's 2008 Kia Rondo (2.7L V6) and the transmission pan on my daughters 2006 Kia Spectra5 (2.0L 4-cyl). My 2006 V6 Tucson so far has been spared. The Spectra5 trans pan was replaced last week. The Rondo oil pan is scheduled to be replaced in 2 weeks. Unfortunately, Hyundai/Kia didn't do very good rustproofing in the past and NE winters with road salt will do that damage.

2. Brakes squeal even after being replaced when braking -- sounds like metal swords dualing kinda when we brake.
Sounds like a bad brake job by a bad mechanic. It shouldn't do that when all parts are replaced properly.

3. O2 sensor went bad after spewing black smoke out of exhaust in the winter. Not sure the proper terminology for this but it was the "easier" one to replace from the vehicle so i am assuming in the rear?
Again, not unusual. Mileage and time wear parts out, especially O2 sensors. What engine? V6 or 4-cyl. There are 4 O2 sensors in the V6, 2 in the 4-cyl. Gotta get the computer scanned for the code to see which one is bad. Diagnose the problem, don't just replace parts are random.

4. Car randomly overheated for no reason? -- I was driving last summer and the temp gauge flew up every time i accelerated. Pulled the car over, let it cool down -- the car had zero antifreeze in the radiator?? it was literally bone dry but we filled it again and never had another issue.
Then there is a problem that needs to be resolved. Is the radiator good? Thermostat? Coolant? Water pump? Has the cooling system ever been serviced?

5. Oil-like stain on the engine shroud - should i be concerned or possibly excess oil when being changed?
That would be my guess without actually seeing it.

6. Now the CEL for O2 sensor came back on again this week and the car is getting crap mileage.
Get it looked at and replaced.

I want to start to do these repairs on my own instead of paying the mechanic all this labor when many things look like simple things that can be done with a socket set etc. Any tips or feedback on the above would be appreciated!
My advice, if you don't have experience doing these jobs, get a friend that does have the experience to teach you Check out videos on YouTube. Otherwise, take it to a quality mechanic.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:35 AM

Brake Squeek? Could be the type of Brake Pads or Rotors that need Surfacing.

Engine Light? Get ahold of an Actual Scan Tool. Not just a Code Reader. The Code may be a symptom of another problem. If you got to an Exhaust Shop, They can check the Catalytic Converter for proper operation.

Coolant? Is there a Leak? Blown Head Gasket? Is the cooling fan turning on?