Hyundai Veracruz This crossover combines the functionality of a minivan in a sleek exterior with luxury qualities.

Power failure - Battery or Alternator

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 06:42 PM
Default Power failure - Battery or Alternator

First post but I need some info if anyone can. Today I was driving for a long drive and than my "battery light" came on and went off, than came on again and I pulled over and car died. Would not start, called AAA and they came and gave me a jump and went to Advance Auto to do a Battery Check and load test on Alternator. The test passed but the guy recommended a battery but I passed. So I started on my way home and got about 30 min when "battery light" and system shut down while driving(very dangerous). Got another jump and drove 5 min and car died again, lose of power. Tried another jump and this time would not charge. Went to AutoZone got a NEW battery. Replaced it and the "battery light" continued to come on and off, also the check engine light came on. Code was lose of power and transmission code. I had them reset and did a batter and Alternator check at Autozone and it seems to pass... The "Battery Light " continues to come on ...does anyone have a clue or could my Alternator be intermitting problem? Thanks Fats

Old 12-08-2015, 09:41 PM

Oil in the alternator from the valve cover gasket leaking??

Old 12-09-2015, 01:32 PM

I have not looked my self but in Aug i did have it in the shop for the recall to replace the valve cover. I called the service dept and they confirmed that the valve cover was all they replaced. I asked why the alternator was not replaced and he said the technician was to only look and if it was not soaked in oil it would not be replaced.. I will look this evening and see if there are signs of oil on the alternator..thanks

Old 01-10-2016, 04:24 PM

Update 12-28-2015

So after I posted this on the forum, I called the dealership to find out if my alternator was replaced during the recall. The service tech said that my valve cover was the only thing replaced. He assured me that the technician would have looked at the alternator to see if it was covered in oil. So I bought a rebuilt alternator and had a local mechanic replace the alternator. When I picked it up he told me that the alternator was covered in oil!! So I called the dealership and they setup an appointment to inspect and replace the rebuilt alternator with a new one and cover it under the recall. After it was inspected the dealership agreed to reimburse me for the alternator and labor....WOW, So thanks to all who responded to this posting and reminded me about the recall. The posting got things rolling and turned out for the best! Thanks again FATS

Old 01-18-2016, 09:14 PM

That is great news... But never heard about the alternator recall good thing you were able to share it with us.

Old 01-26-2016, 10:34 AM
Former Site Vendor

I have attached the campaign for future reference.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
14-01-044.pdf (1.12 MB, 437 views)