Hyundai Veracruz This crossover combines the functionality of a minivan in a sleek exterior with luxury qualities.

'09 Veracruz - Ignition Issue

Old 08-30-2020, 03:29 PM
Default '09 Veracruz - Ignition Issue

I have recently purchased an '09 Veracruz from CarMax and they've been doing their best to resolve my issue. However, they haven't been able to successfully repair the issue and I'm curious if the community can shed some light on the issue.

Ever since I drove off the lot and brought it home, the ignition (no matter which fob or if it was inserted or not) won't start from time to time, usually after it has sat for a few hour or til the next morning. My wife or I will go to turn the ignition, lights and console will turn on, but you cannot hear the starter engage. We will turn it several times in hopes that it was a one time thing, but it seems that after a while it will eventually turn the starter to start the car. Afterwards, we cannot repeat the failure, it will start every time soon after. Never fails that it will happen again, either that day or few days into the week.

A Hyundai Dealership made some repairs last week (I'm glad I didn't have to pay the $3,800 repair bill). They replaced the BCM/Immobilizer System, Ignition Switch w/ Harness, x2 Keyless Fobs (new) and replaced the care battery twice. They called it fixed after that, however... My wife was driving the vehicle and went to the store, and once she returned to the vehicle to start it, failed again, just like before.

There is something I want to mention, but don't know if it is normal or could be something to bring up with the dealership. The Power Locks, when I first got the vehicle I mentioned it to CarMax, but they said it was nothing to worry about. The Power Locks, if you proceed to lock>unlock>lock>unlock>repeat, they drivers side won't lock. It'll make the normal sound of locking, but as it nears the point of not locking, it sounds like it is looking power, like a depleting capacitor.

They say this is the first model Hyundai had tried a keyless start, and I can see why they two Santa Fe's we've had has loaner vehicles don't have the keyless start.
I'm curious if the community here has heard of this issue or would have any advice to it. The Hyundai dealership seems to me to be at a loss of why the issue is occurring and I'm short of speaking with CarMax for a refund or replacement vehicle.

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Cheers!

[Edit] - Added additional items dealership replaced that I forgot about.

Last edited by IRL Dave; 08-30-2020 at 03:35 PM.
Old 08-30-2020, 08:36 PM

From what I can gather, this is a "no crank, no start" and it is intermittent..
And it sounds like the dealership just threw a bunch of related parts at the issue instead of troubleshooting.

When it happens, (no crank, no start) then remove relay and turn key to on position
Remove the starter relay and check socket for corrosion
Check the relay socket for power with a meter or test light. Should have two pins with power.
One for the control side and one for the load side.
The ECM pulls down the control side other pin to complete circuit and turn on relay
With relay turned on, the power gets sent from pin to other pin on load side (starter)
If you can identify the pins 85 and 86 are control side
Pins 87 and 30 are load side.
Control side has one pin going to the ECU (relay is ground side switched).
Never short that pin to battery power. It will kill the ECU.
Going through a test light will limit the current and not kill the ECU.

Cause more head aches and cost much money to replace.
On the load side, putting a jumper between 87 and 30 should crank the engine
This test will tell you if the problem is on the control side or load side.
Swapping relay for a known good one could also tell you if that was the issue (for hard failure)

If you understood that then it should give you enough information to begin troubleshooting when the failure happens
Other than that, I would clean battery posts and cable terminals.
Also follow the battery negative cable to ground and clean that ground.
Also look for engine grounding strap and clean that up.